We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

uk rural
reviews: 4
Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

I have booked with EVA Air dep. LHR 19 Oct 2013 to BKK and return from BKK to LHR 07 Dec.

During this period I will be leaving Thailand and returning there on two occasions, finally returning to BKK (by air) on 08 Nov. I then remain in Thailand until 07 Dec.

When I check in at LHR outbound will EVA query the length of my stay in Thailand according to what they know by dates on my return ticket observing that it is over the 30 days entry permit I usually get stamped in my passport on arrival BKK ? I have been given different answers by EVA, my travel agent, and a Thai Consulate in UK.

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k58416…

You may wish to look at this thread.Eva may indeed deny you boarding unless you can show them a ticket to leave Thailand within the permitted time frame.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

Assuming that you have UK passports and therefore qualify for the 30 day visa exemption program.

The rules regarding the visa exemption program appear to have changed. Previously, if arriving by air, you needed to have a confirmed AIR ticket out of Thailand within the day 30 exemption period**. Now, it appears that you must have "proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained)."

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/188

But, some Thai embassies (notably the Embassy in Washington DC, for travel originating in the USA) are still recommending that you have confirmed air tickets. See the advisory notes at the bottom of this page - dc.thaiembdc.org/consular/VISA/Exempt2.aspx

Therefore, it is going to be a question as to what guidance the airline (EVA) has in its system for checking those passengers flying to Thailand. And remember, ultimately, the first check for admissibility into Thailand is going to be the airline where you start your journey. Even if they were to base their decision on incorrect information, if they refuse to board you it's going to ruin your trip.

Note that unless you have **confirmed** onward tickets in your possession (be it air, train, boat or bus) out of Thailand within the exemption period, you won't be eligible for the 30 day visa exemption anyway, and you would need to apply for a Tourist Visa. That would need to be done in advance, as the Visa on Arrival procedure at BKK and other Thai airports does not include UK citizens or any country on the visa waiver list (VOA is for a completely different set of countries).

(** - Note that the confirmed air ticket does not have to be a return ticket to the UK, nor does it have to be with the same airline. I've had a case similar to yours where although my return ticket was outside the 30 day period, I had another ticket on another airline from BKK to India [9W], which the first airline [UA] accepted as proof.)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
3. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

My question would be how are you traveling to your secondary destinations initially? You only mention a return by air in November.

While your return flight to Thailand on 8 November essentially confirms that you will have left the country before the first 30 day period expires, it is technically not "proof of onward travel from Thailand". As such it would be up to the EVA agent at LHR to make a judgement call.

Have you or will you be pre-booking your travel to the secondary destinations? A bus ticket or train ticket or confirmed boat trip will keep things on the up and up.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
4. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

Hi,

EVA is a TIMATIC subscriber.. Therefore, so long as it's running the OP's PNR will be filtered thru it and I strongly suspect a stopper would be created at that time which would need to be cleared before the check-in process is completed.

Travel Safe,

uk rural
reviews: 4
5. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

Thank you all for your comprehensive replies. Much appreciated.

My intentions are to arr. BKK by air 20 Oct - dep. BKK overland to Laos 24 Oct - dep. Laos by air to BKK 31 Oct - dep BKK 04 Nov by air to Myanmar - dep. Myanmar 08 Nov by air to BKK - dep BKK 07 Dec by air to UK. I will be booking the flights from Laos to BKK and BKK to Myanmar (and return) prior to leaving UK.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

>> My intentions are to arr. BKK by air 20 Oct ...... dep BKK 04 Nov by air to Myanmar .... I will be booking the flights from Laos to BKK and BKK to Myanmar (and return) prior to leaving UK.<<

sanmigukrural,

In that case you should be fine, as you will have a confirmed onward AIR ticket (to Myanmar) within 30 days of your original arrival. That would qualify you for the visa exemption under the old regulations as well as the new, so there should not be a problem with EVA at check in. Show the Myanmar e-ticket/e-receipt to the check in agent at LHR.

What may happen is that you may not be able to complete online check in (OLCI) for your EVA flight, as the check in process won't be able to verify your admissibility - it will only have your EVA flight information. That happens to me when I'm traveling to India or China, as I need to show my visas to the agent as part of check in (there's no visa exemption at all for those countries). So make sure you get to the airport (Heathrow) in plenty of time.

You will likely have the same situation when checking in for Laos-BKK (again show your Myanmar ticket) and Myanmar-BKK (show them your EVA ticket back to the UK).

Edited: 12:10 pm, February 26, 2013
7. Re: Will EVA Air query my length of stay in Thailand ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 28, 2014