We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you get your money back from Expedia?

London, United...
reviews: 13
How do you get your money back from Expedia?

In August last year, I booked three itineraries to cover flights in Asia for three people. These included flights on a route between Hong Kong and Zhanjiang in China on China Southern Airlines. They also included flights with Cathay and Thai between Hing Kong and Bangkok.

In November, Expedia advised me that China Southern had cancelled the ROUTE between Hong Kong and Zhanjiang and suggested I cancel all itineraries and rebook completely. this involved £2,400 of tickets.

I did as they suggested, China Southern rejected the claim for refunds! I was left chasing Expedia for four months and their attitude was complete indifference.

Expedia operate in the UK through an Indiann call centre. They have no UK offices at all. Despite numerous 'phone calls and e-mails, after either calls that were not followed up with answers or automatic e-mails suggesting I call their call centre (!) I was left out of pocket.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
1. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

I would be contacting my credit card company.

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

Ditto, I am surprised you havent already done this.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 96
3. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

Just bad luck , I supposed.

When I tried contacting Expedia, I usually get an auto-response e-mail, and nothing very much later.

Other people here think they are good, Personally, I feel they were pretty good previously, but am not so impressed by them now, perhaps high turnover had affected their quality of service.

P.S.- perhaps too late to contact your credit card company, the money could have been debited,... anyway ... no harm trying.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

"In November, Expedia advised me that China Southern had cancelled the ROUTE between Hong Kong and Zhanjiang and suggested I cancel all itineraries and rebook completely."

I think that as far as the legitimacy of your claim is concerned, a lot will be depend on the details of this suggestion. If you were outright promised that you would be able to cancel for a full refund and it later turned out that you could not, that's very poor advice from Expedia. If, on the other hand, it was suggested to you that it might be easier to cancel everything, it's a different matter. Either way, they should obviously give you a clear answer.

By the way, I'm assuming your flights were under 3 different bookings and that you got a refund for the cancelled flight.

Somerset, UK
reviews: 223
5. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

If you had booked with a credit card then yes oontact the card company.

Why are China Southern refusing to refund a flight on a route they cancelled? Seems a bit wierd. I have flown with them and they seemed a pretty legit bunch.

I have often used Expedia without too many problems. They refunded two flights on SAA for me last year when SAA rerouted us. Took about three weeks to get the money back. I do remember talking to someone 'higher up' than their Indian call centre and had some contact via email - in the end felt that they had just about given a resonable service.

Surrey UK
reviews: 25
6. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

When one buys a ticket via an agent like Expedia is the agent or the airline the seller?

This would be the relevant question for tbe credit card co to consider. In any case it would seem that the booking was supplied but the customer cancelled. Tbe question now is whether the fare was cancellable and if it was not whether Expedia needs to compensate for incorrect advice. I doubt whether the credit card co would get involved in this dispute.

Neil T. Are Expedia saying nothing or are they denying they advised you?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
7. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

As it was August last year I doubt your credit card will be able to do much so I think you have to insist with Expedia.

UK
reviews: 81
8. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

<<the question now is whether the fare was cancellable and if it was not whether Expedia needs to compensate for incorrect advice. I doubt whether the credit card co would get involved in this dispute.>>

I think upon reflection you are correct Carhirer.

<<As it was August last year >>\

It was November, but as said above due to the complexities carhirer picked up its probably not relevant for them anyway.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 96
9. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

I found Expedia rather good previously. But had had some bad experience with them recently. And when I e-mail them, I only got an auto reply, nothing very much after that,

Guess their customer service had deteriorated after their turnover blossomed!

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
10. Re: How do you get your money back from Expedia?

Are you sure it was the route they cancelled, or the non-stop/direct fligjt? China Southern still shows flights to Zhanjing from HKK. However, these are with a change at CAN. Unfortunately, except for one flight with a short connection, the others all require an overnight layover.

That could explain China Southern denying the refund. Although all but one of the connections was very inconvenient, they do still serve that route.