We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting to intl flight in EWR

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 3
Connecting to intl flight in EWR

I am part of a group of 13 connecting through EWR on Saturday March 9. We arrive from DFW on United Express at 4:41pm and have a 2 hr 24 min layover before our United flight to Frankfurt. It looks like we will be changing terminals in the process. We will be doing our international check-in at DFW, thankfully. The online map of EWR seems to indicate that there is a shuttle between terminals A and C on the secure side. Is that the case? How long can we expect the transfer between gates to take?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
1. Re: Connecting to intl flight in EWR

I've done the connection from A to C a few times. It is easy but can take a bit as you have to take two buses. It is all on the secure side. You do not have to exit or pass through any security checkpoints. Terminal A is very small. All the gates are around a central hub/boarding area. When you start to walk from the hub towards baggage claim, you'll see the area to board the bus to Terminal C. Every time I've done it, there's an employee there to help with the bus. The bus at terminal A takes you to a spot where you change to another bus, and that bus takes you to terminal C. There have always been employees helping to direct travelers and I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for each of the buses. You should be able to do the whole transfer in about 30 minutes, although terminal C is pretty big so it depends how far you have to walk to your gate from where the bus lets you off.

Dallas, Texas
2. Re: Connecting to intl flight in EWR

Thanks for this helpful information.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 181
3. Re: Connecting to intl flight in EWR

See this link (transfer shuttle route is green dashes):

https:/…ewr.aspx

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
4. Re: Connecting to intl flight in EWR

You will check-in at DFW, and show your passport, and your bags will be tagged, but do check at EWR to see if you need to check-in with your passport in one line before getting in another line to actually board. You will likely have to show your passports again. I've run into cases where passports were checked along with boarding passes in the boarding line, but recently, with US Airways, even though we'd first chekced in at LAX and shown passports there, at CLT, we had to stand in one line at the gate (combined line for first class and economy, so it was a long one), had passports checked, then we moved over to the boarding lines (one line for first class, one for economy).

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: Connecting to intl flight in EWR

This passport re-examination would occur at our departure gate for the flight to Frankfurt, right?

I already confirmed with United that our bags will be checked all the way through to BLQ from DFW.

6. Re: Connecting to intl flight in EWR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 27, 2014