We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A maybe daft du free question!

Norwich, United...
reviews: 11
A maybe daft du free question!

Sorry if this is a daft question...!

Are all airport duty free shops priced about the same? I'm going to Luton, Stansted, Valencia, Amsterdam and JFK this year and want to buy some perfume and just wondered if I would gain anything by buying it from any particular place, please?

Cheers,

Monkey6870

Edited: 12:23 pm, February 24, 2013
UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

No they arent all the same price.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was a website which compared prices, that perhaps is something for you to google for?

Norwich, United...
2. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

Thank you. I will google and report back :)

Edited: 12:40 pm, February 24, 2013
dewsburyYorkshire
reviews: 36
3. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

you will find that perfume is the same prices as here sometime cheaper....

London, England
reviews: 62
4. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

You may find American brands like Ralph Lauren, Halston etc cheaper in JFK, but I saw perfume being sold at Heathrow in the Duty Free shop more expensive than I had paid for the same item in Asda.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

Don't forget that you can't buy duty free when flying within the EU. So if the Valencia and Amsterdam trips are from the UK then duty free is out. Some may have stores advertizing "duty free prices" though (whatever that means).

Hampshire England
reviews: 57
6. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

Do you mean 'Duty Paid' USB?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
7. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

^^^^^ Well yes the duty is paid, but the prices may be cheaper than local stores, or then again maybe not. The point is you can't use official duty free shops when flying within the EU.

Edited: 4:51 pm, February 24, 2013
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
8. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

Duty free is mostly a marketing gimmick. You might finds some deals compared to "home", you might not. Be sure to know the normal price at home, plus any exchange rates and credit card exchange fees. Note duty free only applies to the country to where you buy it. The country you take it to is still free to impose import taxes based on their rules.

Norwich, United...
9. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

It's coco Chanel I'm after. Tried to see how much, say, Macy's might sell it in New York, but can't find a price. I might buy it at JFK on our return or maybe Amsterdam before flying to JFK? I haven't been to the States for 10 years, so not sure which leg of journey/buying it there will be my best option.

Any advice much appreciated!!

Mobkey6870

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
10. Re: A maybe daft du free question!

Mobkey6870,

If you google "Macy's Coco Chanel" you'll get a link to Macy's online which gives you an indication of their price. I would provide the link but I'm on mobile and linked to the Macy's mobile site.

That said (reading from the mobile site, and possibly subject to NY/NYC sales taxes) "Mademoiselle" is $115 for 3.4oz, if that helps.