We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 96
Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

If you still believe they are the best airline in the world, let me tell you a real life story:

My daughter took a flight on Emirate last September, KUL-LHR-JFK.

The flight was delayed for 4 hours at KUL, she was only given a RM10 voucher for McDonald's (USD3), they promised her they will make sure they connect her on time in Dubai, as there was a layover of 5 hours in Dubai.

When she reached Dubai, she was one hour before they her connecting flight to New York, they rushed her to the boarding gate. But the attendant at the gate refused her from boarding the plane, claiming that they can't board her as her luggage was not on board yet, she was angry, confused and depressed. She called me from Dubai and ask me to get in touch with the Emirate officers at KUL who promised her the prompt connection, but the answer I got from the receptionist at Emirate KL office ( or rather, a call center based in India, as the KLIA Emirate was not reachable) was "we are sorry, but we cannot do anything"

She had no choice but to go on the next flight which was more than 4 hours delayed. By the time she reached JFK, it was past midnight and she had missed her connecting transport to Baltimore,MD. There was no transport around, she had to call her friend, whose father had to come from New Jersey to get her to Maryland.

So much for the best airline in the world. I wonder how Emirate got the award.

She told me she would not fly Emirate again, neither will I , and I am asking people here not to fly with Emirate again!

53 replies to this topic
Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Just wondering where you heard emirates are the best airline in the world?

:-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
2. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Hi,

As I recall it, on that sector, on a UAE-registered carrier, there is no legal obligation for EK to issue any food or drink compensation for delays-- though the reason for the delay might impact what I'd expect.. A carrier controllable event versus a non-controllable event to me would be different..

However, to me the larger issue here is the allegation that an EK employee said or promised "... her they will make sure they connect her on time in Dubai".

IF in fact it was said or inferred as such-- a guarantee -- THAT to me is a failure.. and one that a carrier and their employees should be VERY careful when making to a passenger- especially when it related to connections and the like...

I can see it being said exactly as that .... "Yes, she WILL make it in Dubai"... I can also see it being said in a slight different manner that might be less of a guarantee, but perhaps be seen as such "Sure, 5 hours is plenty of time"...

So, I think knowing exactly what was said is important.. but with the assumption that it was in fact said as a promise, the larger issue for me would be an employee making guarantees over events that they really can't control nor guarantee-- and that would be the point I'd drive home with EK if you choose to pursue this further.

Travel Safe,

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 96
3. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

I believe EK said that on their own website. - voted best airline

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
4. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

I'm confused KUL->LHR-> JFK? Where does Dubai come into it?

Also calling corporate to try and sort out a SNAFU at a departure gate is an exercise in futility.

I don't understand the overwhelming yearning for food vouchers. If I get one - YAY!, if not, I will saunter off , and organise and pay, for my own food and drink.

...and back-up plans for transport at destination is a good idea too - especially from JFK to Baltimore which is quite a long way? No?

I guess I just don't get this level of ineffectualness, on the part of the passenger.

...and I do think Emirates is a good airline, and no I don't work for them as I am not nearly glamorous enough:)

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

I believe EK said that on their own website. - voted best airline

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's long time ago;-)

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Drandy, delays happen to all airlines, deciding not to fly emirates due to the delay and subsequent impact, means you will never be able to fly again, no airline has100 percent on time record and most of them have instances of handling it terribly. Spend 10 mins perusing this forum and there is tales of woe of people sleeping on floors, sharing rooms, no food or drink for 24 hours, left in the Tarmac for hours, etc etc.

The staff at the departure airport probably thought she would make it in good time, she did not. That's life.

She got home safe and sound. It was a relatively short delay. Delays are unfortunate. Seriously, I would just move on now.its really not a huge deal. More just a frustration.

uk
reviews: 71
7. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Surely you daughter realised when she was still in Dubai and 4 hours delayed that her ground transportation on arrival at JFK would have departed and could have investigated alternatives at that stage.

Apart from having a slight delay, I fail to see what Emirates have actual done that would warrant me avoiding them in future.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 100
8. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Why wait nearly 6 months before posting about this ?

London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

Good question jaynewcastle.

I do hope this is not,," I tried to claim comp, was unsuccessful so now I will bad mouth them" type thread.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
10. Re: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????

These things happen every day with all the airlines, if you don't travel again on every airline that's delayed you wouldn't fly again.

Reply to: Emirates - "Best airline in the world"??????????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted