We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

reviews: 1
Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

Well they have a nice interface with easy sliders to sort out dates and times, and as with everyone, when things go well there's nothing to complain about. The true test is when things don't go well.

I needed to cancel a flight over Christmas and then experienced a lack of knowledge and lack of professionalism on the part of the call centre staff.

I booked really early to take advantage of better pricing.

My flight was with WestJet - which I don't use all that often - and I was surprised to hear that after paying a $50 cancellation fee (the Call Centre person told me all fees are imposed by the carriers) the remainder would be available as "WestJet Dollars"; completely transferable, but I had less than 6 months to use them or they would expire.

Flight Network told me they would be a better choice to process the changes because they don't have the wait times that WestJet has. Thank goodness I called WestJet to handle it instead.

I decided to sell the credit at a loss since I won't travel by the expiry date.

The buyer and I called WestJet together I discovered Flight Network did not give me accurate information. First the cancelled ticket doesn't turn into WestJet Dollars but an "open ticket". There aren't fees to transfer WestJet dollars and there are fees to use open tickets.

Second, the expiration date quoted by Flight Network of 12Jun2013 was based on 12 months from the DATE OF BOOKING. According to WestJet, the ticket doesn't expire until 13 months after the DATE OF TRAVEL which brings it to 01Feb2014. That's a big difference since I had resolved to never risk booking that early again.

Third, WestJet didn't charge the $50 cancellation fee. That was Flight Network. Another fee is applied by the airline when re-booked or transferred to someone.

Finally, although the Flight Network Call Centre stated it was fully transferable, the cancellation notice stated it could only be used by the person named on the ticket. Luckily WestJet does have a workaround for that.

I called Flight Network to try to validate, I left a message and then got someone who said I'd get a return call in 20 minutes. Never heard from them. So now all the service issues I've been reading about on the web are starting to surface.

I don't have time to double-check every word given to me by a company in the Travel Industry. This whole process has taken DAYS to sort out. There was too much incorrect information mixed up with semi-correct information and my trust in them is diminished.

Edited: 12:15 pm, February 23, 2013
36 replies to this topic
Oakville, Canada
1. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

Hello Trizii,

My name is Kiersten and I am in the Customer Care department at Flight Network. We appreciate your feedback and would like to resolve this for you.

We do not normally handle bookings on TripAdvisor due to privacy reasons, however if you can email your booking details to our Customer Care department at customercare@flightnetwork.com we will be happy to assist you and address your concerns.

Kind Regards,

Kiersten

SE Ontario
reviews: 9
2. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

Moral of the story ... always book flights yourself directly from the airline ... easier, and rarely any additional fees.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

I got the same problem, I called Flightnetwork to do some changes in my vacation trip, but they are saying the changes could cause me more than $100 even if my flight ticket is around $400 and we are three ppl, so in total we are paying $1500. This is really bad policy because they dont mention such big amount for any change in itinerary on their website. I would never chose flight network again. The customer service is pretty bad too. Talked to few of their reps with all of them giving me different information. So frustrated with their services!!! Pls be aware!!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

Most airlines charge change fees.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
5. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

"I called Flightnetwork to do some changes in my vacation trip, but they are saying the changes could cause me more than $100 even if my flight ticket is around $400 and we are three ppl, so in total we are paying $1500.This is really bad policy because they dont mention such big amount for any change in itinerary on their website."

You think $100 to change what is most likely the cheapest and restricted fare the airline sells is expensive? Sounds cheap to me and I'm guessing most of it is charged by the airline, not Flightnetwork. This has nothing to do with bad service. They also make it clear that there fares usually incur change-fees.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 140
6. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

The problem is most people don't read the terms and conditions when they book flights then when they have to change the itinerary get annoyed because they're charged a fee.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
7. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

This is really bad policy because they dont mention such big amount for any change in itinerary on their website

<<<<<<<

Yes, they do; you just never read it. For example, when you choose the flight you want, before you can complete your purchase, you have to check a box that states, "I accept FlightNetworks' Terms and conditions". You then have the chance to read what these terms are.

The terms clearly state:

"Fares: Most fares are discounted fares which may have cancellation and change penalties. Many of our fares may allow changes by collecting applicable penalties and a fare difference."

So, you were given this information before you booked your tickets. Again, you just didn't read it. Even if you'd booked directly with the airline, you'd have to pay a change fee, and any difference in price between the old and new ticket. Read before you hit the "purchase" button the next time.

San Diego...
8. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

I just recently had an issue with Flight Network. I used and app on my Ipone to find and buy a plane ticket. It took me to Flight Network. I thought I was buying a ticket for $220 plus fees and taxes. Turns out I bought a ticket for $220 and paid Flight Network $40 for their service fee. I called back within two hours of purchasing my ticket to cancel the ticket and was told that I would be charged a $50 cancellation fee. As someone else pointed out, buy your ticket directly through airlines or use a site that you know and are comfortable with. Flight Network is diffently a rip off. You are paying them for nothing!! BUYERS DEFINITLY BEWARE of this so called company.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
9. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

Be happy you only paid USD 50 cancellation fee. Most of the cheap tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable.

>>You are paying them for nothing!!

They have to book and cancel the flight with the airline, and handle the refund.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
10. Re: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of

"Flight Network is diffently a rip off. You are paying them for nothing!!"

Do you think they are running their operation without any expenses at all? Of course you'll be paying them when you book through them that's common sense.

Reply to: Flight Network - cancellation issues to be aware of
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted