We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

West Yorkshire
reviews: 120
Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

For the last two years, I have travelled from Manchester to the USA - both times Delta and KLM have been the cheapest by far (and I have had excellent service). This year, they are twice the price of some of the others, Anyone know what is going on with them? I'm looking at travel in July/August, which I've never done before, so I don't know if I am looking a little too early.

Thanks

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

Not too early. Just peak summer season.

Who are they twice the price of out of interest?

:-)

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
2. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

I have made several bookings with KLM this year between Norway and the US. Price level has been normal and comparable to 2012.

West Yorkshire
3. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

Early on tonight, Lufthansa was coming up around £650 and Delta flights were around £1200.

I was looking on Expedia, Last Minute etc to get a comparison but when I looked on the Delta site they were similar prices.

kentucky
reviews: 31
4. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

Susie--are you dealing with nonstops vs connecting flights?

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

Hi

Just booked (well last week) KLM code share flights between LHR and Atlanta and they came up about £100 less than their rivals. Booked on KLM website for the last week in April. I think it was £450 return or thereabouts.

Jackie

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

Yep. Me too Jackie. End of April at £380 return DUB-MCO-TPA-LHR. My airline of choice to the US. Summer can be stupid expensive.

West Yorkshire
7. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

I'm looking at Manchester to San Diego so there would be connecting flights. I'm expecting it to be more expensive than when I've travelled at Easter but the difference seems strange, or maybe not. I've only flown around half a dozen times so maybe it's normal. I'm just used to Delta having the best deals. I'll keep looking as some of the other flight choices have ridiculous layover times.

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
8. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

At a single point in time any airline can seem very expensive - when you looked it's possible that all the lower bucket fares had sold out and the prices available were in higher fare buckets.

However airlines can, and do, move the number of tickets available in each fare bucket in response to demand etc so look again in a few days to see if prices have changed.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
9. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

Averaging around the £680 mark whichever UK airport is chosen for departure on random july/august dates.

With 2 stops on route and at the height of the summer season, it may be more than your used to paying but doesnt seem crazy expensive to me.

:-)

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 811
10. Re: Why are Delta and KLM so expensive this year

It is peak travel season, although I have noticed that recently even if you try to book early, prices are still high.

You may have to keep checking to see if lower bucket fares become available later on, maybe 3/4 months before your departure.

I went with Delta to NYC last August, but opted to depart from Heathrow as I could reduce the price of the fare by third. There were four of us so the savings were significant, just travelled down the evening before and booked a cheap hotel overnight.