We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YYC Connection to USA

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 15
YYC Connection to USA

Flying to Calgary on Air Canada from a domestic flight. Flight lands at 7am. Connecting on a code share United flight at 7:30am. Got 30 minutes to deboard, walk to US connections, pass thru Customs, and board the United flight to SFO. I think i remember there's US Customs to pass thru at the Calgary airport if I recall correctly.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of a tight US connection? Seems really tight but it's an Aeroplan award flight.

I'll also be connecting in SFO to HNL although I've got a 6 hour layover at SFO for that leg. There's a 12:30pm YYC to SFO flight later that day that would still arrive in time for the leg to HNL so I'm hoping I could be moved to that flight if I miss the 7:30am flight (hoping its not full).

Edited: 11:06 pm, February 20, 2013
Portland, Oregon
1. Re: YYC Connection to USA

Ok, so I just read the minimum connection times on Air Canada's own website and it provides a minimum 50 minute connection time from Calgary to the US. This flight is only 30 minutes!

I should add, when I first booked this flight, the connection time was about an hour. That was months ago and I just got a schedule change today that moves the YYC to SFO flight up 30 minutes. Doi have any recourse with Aeroplan to change the flight now? I don't want to pay a $90 change fee for something out of my control.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 25
2. Re: YYC Connection to USA

Yes, you are correct with the minimum and that seems a little optimistic.

Yes, you have recourse with Aeroplan. There should not be any fee to change the flights. Call them.

I have contacted them on a number of occasions regarding flight changes for reward travel. It can sometimes take them a few minutes to get the okay to change the flights, but they have always made it right. I usually tell them what I want the new changes to be and they have always found a way to make it work for me.

Last reward flights, one leg changed by an entire day, at which point Aeroplan rebooked the connections for me. Then AC chose to revert the flight back to the original day! Again, fixed by Aeroplan. And I was offered a number of options for flights on either day, my preference.

Edit: You wouldn't happen to have NEXUS, would you? That certainly does expedite matters when YYC is completely backed up in the US Customs area. Although, it has improved somewhat recently.

Edited: 12:24 am, February 21, 2013
Portland, Oregon
3. Re: YYC Connection to USA

Thanks love2vacation. I don't have a Nexus card but you still helped put my mind at ease. At least I'll be able to sleep tonight! I will call Aeroplan tomorrow morning.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: YYC Connection to USA

30 minutes is not enough. And remember that the 50 minute "legal" minimum applies to everyone (including frequent travellers with NEXUS cards and no checked luggage who can connect much more quickly) -- it's probably still too tight for most people.

Definitely call Aeroplan as there should be no charge for fixing an illegal connection.

Edited: 7:50 am, February 21, 2013
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
5. Re: YYC Connection to USA

Definitely not enough - the lines at US immigration are often long and slow-moving.

We had a minuscule change on one of our upcoming flights and DH (the aeroplan expert ) said something about if they change it, then they must move you to a flight of your choosing for no charge. So I'm sure there will be no problem.

Portland, Oregon
6. Re: YYC Connection to USA

Everything worked out with Aeroplan this morning! Aeroplan lady was very helpful and as soon as she saw the connecting times, she was looking for flight alternatives. She was asking if I was meeting others in HNL and would try to coordinate the best schedules. I appreciated that, but I gave her a flight option that leaves a day earlier with only 1 connection (vs 2 on this plan). She changed my itinerary to that one with no problems! Thanks everyone!

I actually get 1 more day in HNL with less total travel time because of this 30 minute United scheduling change!

Edited: 9:46 am, February 21, 2013
7. Re: YYC Connection to USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 23, 2014