We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin AU vs United

Estes Park, Colorado
Virgin AU vs United

Which airline do you recommend for an economy plus ticket from Colorado, USA to Sydney, Austrailia? Why the difference?

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Virgin AU vs United

VA modern 777 aircraft with great IFE, reasonable food, helpful crew.

but for us seats are hard and uncomfortable and a reason never to fly them again..

and u may have to change terminals in LAX depending on who u r flying from DEN. this can be a pain with a walk/shuttle + another security check.

UA old 747s with ancient IFE, patchy food, professional crews but seating is comfortable as it can be in economy. E+ is worth every dollar. but all u get is some extra leg room.

easy plane change inside secure area at LAX.

we are always happy with united's service thru LAX and DEN to our ultimate mid west destination and back to sydney.

2. Re: Virgin AU vs United

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, February 21, 2013
South Pole
reviews: 39
3. Re: Virgin AU vs United

"Aside from the fact United insists on hiring worn out ex-diner emloyees from mid-west truckstops"

that's pretty insulting and plainly not true.,...even a bit sexist.

and there are some pretty nice hard working people working at truck stops in the mid west....my family included.

the selection of older cabin crew on UA long haul is based on experience and seniority.

and if u treat them with respect (which obviously douglass doesn't) u get excellent service in return.

Edited: 1:20 am, February 21, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
4. Re: Virgin AU vs United

On a side note, lien hoping you might know. Is the E+ annual option no longer available on United? I don't have status any more with UA so am looking to pay for E+ on my trip later this year to LAX, CLT.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Virgin AU vs United

>> Is the E+ annual option no longer available on United? <<

Correct - it's no longer available. It was scrapped on March 3 2012, when United and Continental did their full passenger facing merger. I may be wrong, but I doubt it will come back, as E+ is hugely popular and United is raking in the money from individual purchases. They also stopped offering free E+ to their silver frequent fliers because of the demand (although silvers can get any leftover E+ seats at check in from T-24).

Edited: 12:40 pm, February 27, 2013
6. Re: Virgin AU vs United

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 01, 2014