We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overweight baggage

Lytham St Anne's...
reviews: 15
overweight baggage

I am flying from Manchester to Heathrow with B A and then to Kuala Lumpur and Perth with Malaysia airlines. Although I booked the MAN - LHR flight as a return the return is with British Midland International and the baggage allowance is different with B M I. Outgoing with B A is 23kg return with B M I is 20kg. What is even more frustrating is that Malaysia airlines have now upped there allowance from 20kg to30kg!

Does anybody know how much I would have to pay for overweight bags if I have any on the B A and B M I flights?

many thanks

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: overweight baggage

I can't answer your question, but for future reference this is a classic case of it being better using a travel agent to make your booking. I am 99.9% certain that any half way decent agent would have been able to get you a one ticket booking from MAN to PER based on MH for the long haul sectors that would have given you the higher baggage allowance all the way.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
2. Re: overweight baggage

Since BMI are no longer operating, the baggage allowance on the flights to and from MAN and LHR will be that allowed by BA.

Lytham St Anne's...
3. Re: overweight baggage

well that's useful to know, Traveller plus , thanks. 23kg gives us more flexibility, especially as my daughter and I will be hitting the shops in K L!

Numbat, we booked our MH flight with an agent, but they couldn't match the B A price online so I booked that myself, but I was only thinking about the cost at the time, not baggage allowance! I will bear that in mind in the future as I would rather book with an agent. Thanks

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 364
4. Re: overweight baggage

It is worth buying a portable luggage weigher as airlines are often charging an insane amount of money for overweight baggage!

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
5. Re: overweight baggage

Laurel,

Could your agent not find a through fare from MAN to PER? I'd be very surprised if one didn't exist. When I was a travel agent MH had fares to London from Australia and then for a small extra amount would add on a flight to other UK ports (eg MAN, GLA, EDI) with the local carrier (eg BA). Booked as one ticket, one fare and all very simple. Having two tickets as you seem to have is an unnecessary complication imo.

uk
reviews: 73
6. Re: overweight baggage

LythamLaurel, are you aware that, as you have booked the MAN-LHR sector separately, should your flight from Man be delayed and you miss the MAS flight, neither MAS nor BA will be liable and it will be your responsibility to possibly have to buy another ticket.

UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: overweight baggage

but they couldn't match the B A price online so I booked that myself, but I was only thinking about the cost at the time, not baggage allowance!

=====

Were you not thinking about the possible cost of buying a new LHR-KL return flight? x2? On the day ?

I don't know how much time you've allowed, but you have to collect baggage and change terminals, I wouldn't be happy with anything under 3 hours and even if its that sort of figure, if there is an on the day cancellation out of MAN due to,well, almost anything, you wont have enough time to get a later flight into LHR and your Malaysia flight is toast.

This may not be much use to you but perhaps it will help someone else who thinks an airline seat is an airline seat and should therefor just buy the cheapest, and doesn't think about the bigger picture, such as protected connections. I am somewhat surprised the travel agent didnt point this out to you. Unless of course you are going down to LHR the previous day, but in that case the overnight hotel stay would I assume outweigh the savings on a local flight?

norfolk
reviews: 30
8. Re: overweight baggage

i agree with everything the others have said about these flights. but one thing you may not have realised - your b.a. flight will allow you one pice of handbaggage [size limited - see website] weighing up to 23kg. plus a handbag or camera.

so - take a case within the handbaggage measurements. put some of your clothes in it. it goes as hand baggage on b.a. and is checked on MAS. after you shop in k.l. you can put your stuff in it - keeping your TOTAL checked weight under 30 kg. from LHR to MAN the second case goes as handbaggage.

Lytham St Anne's...
9. Re: overweight baggage

from what I can remember ( I booked it several months ago) because of the K L stopover it would be seperate flights. We have flown with B A Qantas before and checked our luggage in at Manchester for the whole journey. I can't say it wouldn't have been possible this time but I assumed it wasn't.

We fly from MAN at 1pm for a 10pm flight at LHR and the return journey we have a good few hours to play with. I have sussed out trains just in case but I am trying not to get too stressed about delays! so fingers crossed please!

Thanks to all of you for your advice and 'pam redboots' that is useful to know I will have to take full advantage of that!

10. Re: overweight baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 23, 2014