We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Belfast to London

Adelaide, Australia
Flight from Belfast to London

I will be travellng from Belfast to London in late May and was seeking some advice on which Belfast airport to use.....and is it worth paying the extra to land at Heathrow as my accommodation is in Central London. Any thoughts from experience travellers out there! Thanks for your time.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

Basically you need to factor in the added cost (there won't be much added time) of landing somewhere like Luton, Southend or Stansted in terms of getting to central London vs. the Tube fare. Those lights will all be from Belfast International.

Basically I'd say if the fares are £20 or more cheaper to fly to one of those airports vs LHR, don't fly to LHR. You will save money (and possibly time).

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 81
2. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

Belfast City (George Best Airport) is more convenient but Belfast International (Aldergrove) has a better selection of flights to the London area.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
3. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

Central London is a big place so where do you need to be?

BA do flights Belfast City to LHR reasonable prices and that includes a bag. Flybe, Aer Lingus and Easyjet all charge for bags.

Edited: 10:09 am, February 20, 2013
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 65
4. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

Belfast city is more convenient if you are staying in the city although I prefer aldergrove (International). There are good bus services from the Europa bus centre, Belfast to both Belfast airports. Just note to allow good time, especially if your flight is from City airport at peak commuting time as the city airport is on the Sydenham bypass, a dual carriage which goes from Belfast to the major commuting town of Bangor.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 264
5. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

It really depends on where you go in London. If it is anywhere West, then LHR is the best choice. The Heathrow Express brings you in 15 minutes to Paddington Station. Longer but less expensive, the tube is also an option.

If you are going to the South Bank, then Gatwick might well make sense (train connection "Gatwick Express"). Luton and Stansted are further away (North) so less convenient. Then of course there is the airfare...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
6. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

A single on the HEX costs £20; off peak PAYG on Oyster fare from LHR to central London just £3; cash single on the Underground £5.50.

GEX singles cost £17.75 bought on line, but Southern trains (which take perhaps five minutes more than the GEX) cost £14.40. First Capital Connect to London Bridge and St Pancras single fare is just £10.

If you fly to Heathrow and use a Travelcard or PAYG on Oyster you'll save on transport costs and (ideally) offset a difference in fare. Ronaldo's comment about BA's free baggage allowance is vaild too: there won't be much of a savings if you have to pay to check a bag and spend a tenner or more on a train from LGW to London.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

"Luton and Stansted are further away (North) so less convenient."

Not necessarily. It is a much quicker journey into London from Luton vs. the Tube. (I have just flown in to Luton and am at the airport parkway station as I type.) 20 minutes to Kings Cross/St. Pancras vs. over an hour on the Tube. Costs about £10 more though.

So as I said before, if the total fare (including luggage etc.) is £20 or more less than flying in to Heathrow, you'll probably be better off flying into one of the other airports (even if you are going to the West End of central London). They are usually quicker to get out of than Heathrow too.

Adelaide, Australia
8. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

Thank you so very much for the wealth of information provided by people in regards to my question of flights from Belfast to London

9. Re: Flight from Belfast to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 25, 2014