We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

Surrey UK
reviews: 28
Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

My Iberia ticketted BA operated flight was cancelled and i was rebooked the next day. Iberia said they offer no compensation or overnight hotel assistance in these circumstances. So i was left to sort out and pay for taxis and a hotel in Madrid

I need to look into my travel insurance cover, but if anyone else has had any positive or negative experience with Iberia on this matter please post here.

It seems odd that a strike provoked by the IAG chairman's decision to sack 4000 staff could be seen as a factor "beyond the airline's control".

Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

The airline are responsible for providing or paying directly for meals/refreshments/accommodation/travel to & from airport and hotel whilst you are waiting for your rebooked flight, whatever the circumstances.

If they are not offering this directly, book yourself into a reasonable (not 5*) hotel and retain all receipts for reimbursement from the airline after you return.

Reg 261/2004 Article 9:

Article 9

Right to care

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:

(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;

(b) hotel accommodation in cases

- where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or

- where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;

(c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).

2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.

3. In applying this Article, the operating air carrier shall pay particular attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and any persons accompanying them, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.

Surrey UK
2. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

Thank you. Is this an Eu directive? Is this different to the Directive dealing with compensation, which is subject to the reasonable excuse getout?

Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

It is the same Regulation but there will be no compensation for a cancellation due to a strike.

There is no get out for the airline in the case of reimbursing the above expenses, they can be claimed whatever the reason for the cancellation or delay.

Ryanair tried to get out of paying the above Article 9 expenses over the Ash Cloud episode and lost: www.bailii.org/eu/cases/EUECJ/2013/C1211.html

Yorkshire
reviews: 7
4. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

'No hotel assistance' MIGHT mean that you needed to make arrangements and pay upfront yourself. Too unlikely that they meant they would not reimburse your expenses however, because it would be completely against the EU regulations.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

Yeah, because no airline would ever dream of doing anything that goes against EU regulations ;)

Yorkshire
reviews: 7
6. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

Yeah, because no airline would ever dream of doing anything that goes against EU regulations ;)

Dream - yes of course. Doing - may be a different matter. Duty of care rules seem too clear to attempt to breach them - or not?

Surrey UK
7. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

Thanks again for this advice. I have just fired off an online claim via the Iberia website.

I say "fired off" but it has in fact taken 3 attempts. The first two attempts were timed out. I really rushed through the 3rd attempt which was successful but with corresponding typos! God knows what the jobsworths at Iberia Head Office will make of it.

Surrey UK
8. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

Quick response from Iberia.

It was an Iberia ticketted BA operated flight so Iberia have passed my claim to BA.

Ping Pong!

9. Re: Iberia strikes - any financial assistance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014