We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

Bloomfield, New York
Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

My boss was suppose to fly to Florida yesterday (Monday) with her family - just a quick trip down during a school break.

The first flight from NY made it to Cleveland, but her next flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems and they were unable to book her on another flight until Wednesday. Since she was suppose to be flying back on Thursday, they decided to fly back home.

What should she expect for compensation?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

Probably little more than a partial refund as per the UA website

"When complications such as weather, air traffic control and mechanical delays occur, you may be eligible to request a refund for a restricted ticket."

united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/policy/Pages/Fli…

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

"United does nothing...”

So did they or didn't they rebook her on the next available flight?

Bloomfield, New York
3. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

They could only book her on a flight leaving on Wednesday..she was suppose to return on Thursday, so that wasn't going to work. She called several airlines but was unable to get out of Cleveland to FL that day, so wound up flying back to Rochester.

My question is - if the flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems and their next flight available was not going to work for them, what should they expect for the inconvenience...if anything? She said they seemed uninterested in any kind of compensation and since she does not fly often, did not even know what she should expect.

Edited: 10:07 am, February 19, 2013
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

As they could not get her to her destination she should get a refund. I find it odd that they could not find a way from CLE to FL. did she refuse an alternate routing?

Bloomfield, New York
5. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

Thanks for directing me to that information - I should have checked there first!

Really - a partial refund for a flight that did not get you where you wanted to go within a reasonable time frame. I know I don't fly often - once or twice a year - but even when I get bumped, they not only fly me to my destination - they give me a voucher to use at a later date. In this case, they did not voluntarily do anything - the airline could not get them to where they were suppose to go within a reasonable time frame, so I was hoping that they not only received a full refund, but vouchers for the inconvenience....

It does say "If your flight is delayed two hours or more, and you would rather postpone or cancel, please let us know, and we may waive any change penalties that may have applied to your ticket."

Keeping my fingers crossed....

Bloomfield, New York
6. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

I found it odd too - February break in many places and lots of people heading to Florida. She said the EARLIEST they could do was Wednesday, which wouldn't work. She never said she refused an alternate plan....

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 96
7. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

I had a similar problem with a UA plane cancelled out of DAY-CLE for DAY-CLE-SFO. UA booked me for DAY-CLE for two days later. Instead of waiting, I immediately picked-up a rental car and drove 4 hours to CLE where UA put me on the next flight CLE-SFO within the hour that I got to CLE. UA offered nothing else.

With CLE being a hub, I'm surprised that UA could not find another routing to Florida. But of course, UA now operates with almost no margin and with very few unoccupied seats going anywhere.

unict
8. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

As the mech. issue caused the whole trip to be forfeited, a complete refund is in order, with some kind of goodwill gesture.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
9. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

What UA can and should do in matters like this is clearly laid out in the airline's Contract of Carriage; Rule 24 applies here: https:/…Contract_of_Carriage.pdf Section F4) suggests that no other compensation is due, but UA might decide to make an ex gratia gesture of goodwill.

unict
10. Re: Flight with mechanical problems...United does nothing...

Did UA check for flights on other airlines that would get her to FL sooner?

Did they offer any compensation, lodging, etc.?

She can check around the net for tips on refunds for "trip in vain" situations.