We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 35
Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Was anyone unfortunate enough to be de-layed or miss a connection within Dubai airport flying with Emirates on or around the 22nd Jan ? Did you have a horror story about the sub-standard customer service of Emirates ground staff in general? Would like to find out if they always treat people so badly, seems to me their reputation as a good carrier is not deserved

London, United...
1. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Any details?

Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Had a flight to Sydney from Glasgow via 2hrs in Dubai. 4 hour delay at Glasgow due to pilot being ill and airline having no available back up. Connection was missed (we later found out connecting plane was held back for 1st class passengers though) Glasgow groundstaff told us we would have 24 hrs in Dubai in a lovely hotel (rubbish) Instead we had18 hours being treated like dogs in Dubai airport. There were no hotel rooms , we were lied to constantly and kept being told to report to a number of different desks (all with massive ques) They were clueless, powerless and were clearly using tactics to buy time. It all came to a head when a group of 20 passengers united to block a desk and demanded to see management. We were eventually allocated rooms (3 to a room even if it was a stranger) for the last 6 hours of what turned out to be a 30 hour delay.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
3. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

"4 hour delay at Glasgow due to pilot being ill and airline having no available back up." - No airline will have spare pilots available (unless it's a major hub) in the event of this sort of situation.

"we later found out connecting plane was held back for 1st class passengers though" - if the plane was held back for 1st class passengers how did you not make it in time to the departure gate.

As you were flying from a UK airport you might wish to check out EU261 which sets out the airlines obligations in respect of duty of care/compensation for delays.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
4. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Having "enjoyed" Emirates ground expereince on a 13-hour delay/missed connection (business class) I can only say that the Dubai staff were absolutely hopeless. I complained at the time, but no follow-up.

Glasgow, United...
5. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Was just stating the cause of the delay by mentioning that the pilot was ill. The reason that we did not make it to the gate on time was because our instruction when checking in at Glasgow was to report to a specific desk within Dubai airport so that accomadation would be allocated. 1st class passengers were not instructed to do this , they were told to go to a lounge were they quickly got put on the connection. Is that hard to believe?

Glasgow, United...
6. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Unless there is a fire management will not come out of their holes to deal with customer issues. The groundstaff are not capable of helping you so you are left in limbo, most people accept this and walk away to just hang about the airport. They are counting on most people doing this. I also en-countered different standards of treatment by the groundstaff based on the race of the customer , it was disgusting! If there is a problem that cant be solved i want honesty, the people at Emirates are not capable enough to take charge and communicate the truth.

Forres, Scotland
reviews: 55
7. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

We filed a complaint (not a delay) Oct 2008 with Emirates- even handed it to their 'customer service' desk in Dubai Airport. 2013 still no reply!

Wasn't impressed with serviced on board either. Would only fly with them again if they were miles cheaper than other airlines- Qatar far superior service.

Glasgow, United...
8. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Hi

Same experience for me. Left Glasgow Mon 21st jan transfer in Dubai for Hong Kong, abandonded in Dubai Airport by Emirates Air got a Cathy Pacific flight to get out of there after 39 hours, that i end up paid by myself £425 for the flight . Total chaos, no management, worst travel experience I have ever had.

but you are the luck one for i didn't get the hotel room ,that on 23rd jan the whole airport gone choas ,they even refuse me to boarding than say i was the one refuse to board , total craziness.

Glasgow, United...
9. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

We have been advised that many complaints that are given directly to Emirates do not receive a reply or take a very long time to be processed. This is a policy that it is designed to exhaust you and therefore you end up giving up on your grevience. They tried the exact same time delaying tactics with myself and loads of other dis-gruntled passengers when we were on the ground & stranded in Dubai airport. We booked our flight/holiday through a travel agent and so have channelled our complaint & pursuit of compensation through them. Our travel agent has told us that in receipt of our complaint through them, Emirates must reply within 28 days. I will post if i receieve any correspondence from Emirates in 4 weeks time. I have seen first hand a part of the Emirates operation that is very poorly run, which is a surprise considering their longstanding good reputation. I have also had feed back from travellers who have used Emirates many times and the general view is that standards are on the slide. They have got very big very quickly and at great cost. I have a feeling that they are trying to make cuts to bring those costs down and the result is a drop in the standard of perssonel. It is only a matter of time before the drop in standards affects the whole operation. That is dangerous for such a large airline.

NomadicForever
reviews: 14
10. Re: Emirates terrible customer service in Dubai

Emirates are a victim of their sucess. I have not been in a situation with them like you were. However, a colleague of mine had to endure a similar scenario last year.