We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson flight with a car seat

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 2
Thomson flight with a car seat

Has anyone travelled recently on a Thomson flight and taken their child in a car seat, and if so, how was the experience?

We are booked to go Greece this summer and at the moment we have only booked seats for ourselves with our son going as a lap chile (he'll be 17 months). After thinking about it, I have decided to book a seat for him in an attempt to make it more enjoyable for all concerned (plus a lot safer for him). It will mean buying a new car seat as the one in our car is too big, and this is where my confusion starts.

Thomson state that it must be less that 16in/40cm, however all the ones I've looked at seem to state the smallest dimension as 45cm. I don't want to go to all the trouble of buying one, carting it onto the plane, and then getting told by a FA who isn't completley up to date that it needs to go into the hold.

Their website states that it must be approved for air travel (quite a few do specifically mention FAA approved) but it is the dimensions that get me. A seat may be FAA approved (does that mean it is also ok for a UK flight?) for travel but that doesn't necessary mean it will fit into the "cosy" seats that Thomson use.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
1. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

It would need to be within the dimensions that Thomsons state, but I would contact them to ask for the full details. I doubt you'd get a 45cm seat to fit.

Edinburgh, United...
2. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

That's what I thought but I'd assumed that the dimensions given are at the widest part of the seat, rather than the base which is the bit that needs to squeeze between the armrests.

I just don't want to be in the postion where I buy one, then call Thomsons only to be told the same t&c's that are on the website. I very much doubt that they'd be able to give me a list of suitable models before I buy one.

I guess I'm just hoping somene will reply to say that they'd flown with a specific seat and Thomsons were great about it.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
3. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

I'd call or email them first before buying, to check the dimensions and regulations.

Edinburgh, United...
4. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

Thanks. Guess I'll have to hope I get someone who knows exactly how the FAs on the day interpret the regs.

In an ideal scenario I can get them to confirm in am email that a specific model is ok so I can have something in my hand in case opinion differs on the plane!

Weren't you accused of being a Thomson employee last week on another thread? Shame you're not as you could give the info I need and I know it would be reliable.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Edinburgh, United...
5. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

An update to my query in case it helps someone else.

After doing more research than I ever did while at university, I narrowed it down to two, the britax prince and britax eclipse. Even though their dimensions are 5cm greater than allowed on the thomson website I bought the eclipse as it fitted my wife's car better.

I turned up at the airport armed with printouts from the Thomson website expecting to be questioned at either check in, security or while boarding but no one batted an eyelid. It fitted perfectly in the seat and I didn't even need to lift the armrest.

I'm so glad I took it as not only was it much safer, but it meant he slept for good portion of both flights. People we spoke to said they'd never seen a car seat on board before but thought it was great idea (probably because their kids were wriggling about while our boy slept peacefully). Definitely with the extra expense as it made our journeys much smoother.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
6. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

Thanks for the update. You're right, so much safer, and so much more comfortable for infant and parent.

Queensland
reviews: 158
7. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

There are regulations regarding child seats and it must be FAA approved, (many are, some aren't). An approved child seat should also have notification on the parents boarding pass "CHST" or similar noting it has been approved by the airline and is safe for travel. If you don't have this notification you may encounter problems on board. Usually it is up to the parent to ensure correct fitting of the seatbelt around the base of the child seat. Flight Attendants can assist and guide you but are not responsible for securing it. Approved child seats are governed by the FAA, CASA in Australia, Canadian and US equivelant departments. Get the official requirements from the airline directly in writing, especially since you mention "cosy" seats. I don't know but if these airine seats are smaller there may be rules regarding the use of child seats. Basicaly some child seats are not approved for air travel.

8. Re: Thomson flight with a car seat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 22, 2014