We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's In a Name?

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
What's In a Name?

Apparently it is a criminal offence to travel on an aircraft in Australia with a name other than your own on the ticket.

theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/warni…

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: What's In a Name?

I wonder how Sir Les Patterson gets about?

Nannup, Australia
2. Re: What's In a Name?

Private jet, obviously!

australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: What's In a Name?

with on-line check-in and non refundable tickets it was easier to give your ticket to someone else to use...now not such a good idea

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: What's In a Name?

"The Australian Federal Police said the man had flown to Brisbane from Perth ..."

Are there no ID checks prior to boarding Australian domestic flights?

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
5. Re: What's In a Name?

I'm surprised it's only been illegal fo such a short time.

I know the airlines have never allowed it even though with OLCI they couldn't police it too thoroughly. Never could figure why Australia was the only country where ID was not required on boarding. I guess that's just round the corner.

Nannup, Australia
6. Re: What's In a Name?

<<Are there no ID checks prior to boarding Australian domestic flights?>>

With OLCI and automated baggage drop now the go the last thing airlines want (QF in particular) is for you to interact with a human being - he/she costs the company money! There are security checks but only for your bags.

And of course we're all law abiding citizens down here........

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
7. Re: What's In a Name?

This is new to me I didn't know you could board a plane in Australia without identification surely this was a security risk.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
8. Re: What's In a Name?

<<< surely this was a security risk. >>>

How so? I'm under the impression criminals would have a fake ID anyway. And as Numbat says, apart from flashing your boarding pass you can get on-board without actually having any contact with any airline crew members. Presumably as you have to purchase with a valid credit card there's a sort of cross check happening anyway.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
9. Re: What's In a Name?

No need for fake id at all. Most wanted man in Perth following a murder - with his face plastered all over the media - managed to fly without any checks - on multiple flights and connections - from Perth to Townsville.

Online booking and check in has made it a smooth process for us normal passengers - but it's been a gigantic bonus to the criminal element.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
10. Re: What's In a Name?

I thought it was possible to fly domestically without ID in many countries? I always carry my passport with me anyway but I don't seem to remember showing it to anyone on my last domestic flights in either the UK or Denmark.