We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan (Horizon) or Air Canada from Seattle to Vancouver

Sydney, Australia
Alaskan (Horizon) or Air Canada from Seattle to Vancouver

Hi there

on the route

Seattle to Vancouver

Is there much difference between traveling Air Canada or Alaskan Airlines (operated by Horizon) Both are Dash8 small aircraft ?

Is one better than the other in terms of things like comfort, age of craft, fares, on-time performance etc.

many thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Alaskan (Horizon) or Air Canada from Seattle to Vancouver

I'd say no discernable difference between the two for this very short 48 minute flight. I'd choose the one that suits you based on convenience and fare (we discovered that Alaska/Horizon may be a bit cheaper on PDX-YVR if that helps).

If you want to earn frequent flyer miles and elite points, then AC is in Star Alliance. AS is independent but partners with a lot of SkyTeam and OneWorld airlines to earn miles and in some cases elite qualifying points.

For today, AS has six daily services and AC has four.

Edited: 9:41 pm, February 18, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
2. Re: Alaskan (Horizon) or Air Canada from Seattle to Vancouver

There is no discernible difference, or hasn't been in my experience.

The flights arrive at a set of gates a little away from the main terminal building. You'll walk down the steps from the plane to the apron, pick up hand baggage if it's gone in the hold, then set off down a long corridor towards passport control.

AC used to offer a drink of water or orange juice on the flight; AS offer still water for the short trip along the coast.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
3. Re: Alaskan (Horizon) or Air Canada from Seattle to Vancouver

Amtrak has quite good train service for that very short run - the Cascades service

(Horizon has free beer and wine on most flights, but that route is so short, I doubt that they'd have time)

I flew PDX-YVR recently - a good flight on Horizon

Edited: 10:27 pm, February 18, 2013
4. Re: Alaskan (Horizon) or Air Canada from Seattle to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 20, 2014