We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Seat Rip-off.

Surprise, Arizona
reviews: 2
Airline Seat Rip-off.

Use to be a frequent flyer while working and now am a retiree. I’m OK with most extra fees the airlines are charging except when you purchase a seat assignment while purchasing your ticket. That is also OK with me but if you have to change flights or cancel a flight you loose your seat assignment money. I wonder if the pre-fees for food follow the same policy. The airline should refund your seat fee or at least let you use it for a different flight.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
1. Re: Airline Seat Rip-off.

Hi,

I see logic in that notion..

Since you don't say what airline(s) this relates to, it's kind of hard to go forward, however, that said, to me I'd want to know is this policy-- that you don't get your seat fees refunded or credited to you, if YOU* initiate a flight change disclosed to you in advance?

(Note: I highlight that the change in this case and your example appears to be an involuntary one, or one that is of the passengers initiation and not one done by the carrier at their discretion or involuntary in nature)

IF they DO disclose it, and do so before you agree to the fee or booking, then it might be a "bad" or unpopular policy, but I don't know I'd call it a "rip off" per se.

By contrast, if they do NOT disclose this before you buy, then I think that's something different.

Travel Safe,

Surprise, Arizona
reviews: 2
2. Re: Airline Seat Rip-off.

Thank you very much for responding. I was doing my expenses when I found out I didn’t get a return for my seats. I did go back to the website and their policy was to refund seats. I called the airline and they said they did not give me a seat refund so they refunded me the money. No reason was given. The only problem was I had to wait on the phone for 45 minutes to speak to a representative and another 25 minutes to solve the problem. The representative was cordial.

3. Re: Airline Seat Rip-off.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 20, 2014