We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

Boston...
Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

Hi. My husband and I will be going to Malaysia for two weeks for a tour. We need to fly out of Los Angeles (LAX) on June 20 and depart Kuala Lumpur (KUL) on July 7. We'd like to fly Cathay if possible but right now the flights we want are $1800 a person for economy. That feels like a lot.

I know no one can predict flights, but I'm wondering if 1) what I'm seeing now ($1650-1800) is pretty typical for the flights we want this time of year and I shouldn't expect much less, 2) whether or not Cathay has a tendency to drop prices closer to departure date, and 3) if Cathay flights from LAX to KUL usually book quickly for June and we're risking flights getting booked up if we hesitate much longer.

Any thoughts on whether or not we're wise to keep waiting and, if so, for how long, would be much appreciated. Many thanks!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 47
1. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

Ok Kate, I'll attempt to help you again as no one has replied.

Malaysia Airlines flies KUL/LAX for about RM4,500 (USD1,500). Have you done dummy bookings on Kayak.com per my earlier suggestion?

Doubt airfares will drop closer to travel dates. But then again I booked KUL/LHR in Sep 2012 for travel over Xmas and it was the cheapest deal I've ever had! So who knows! As previouslyadvised, if you're ok with the fare, just book it and don't look again!

Edited: 3:35 am, February 19, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 140
2. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

I would keep checking the matrix fare comparison website this is the link:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
3. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

USD1,500-1,800 thereabout is the cost of airfare between LAX and Southeast Asia. Airlines like China Eastern or China Southern may offer airfares at USD1,200. But beware as you may need a visa for China.

Depending on the airline you choose, the total flight time can range from 18 to 24-hrs. A direct flight on Malaysia Airline will get you direct from LAX to KUL in 19-hrs.

Boston...
4. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I have been checking fare comparison sites like fly.com and kayak.com frequently.

One thing I am noticing though is that often the cheapest prices listed on those sites come from sites like orbitz or cheapoair. Buying them directly from Cathay seems to be a couple hundred dollars more.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

>> One thing I am noticing though is that often the cheapest prices listed on those sites come from sites like orbitz or cheapoair. <<

We have had dozens (seems more like hundreds) of reports on here where people have booked with 3rd party bookers, handed over their money for those cheaper fares, only to be contacted one or two days later and be told that that fare is no longer available, and you have to pay more (in many cases more than if you'd booked directly with the airline). Those bookers generally don't provide real time fares to the kayaks of this world, whereas the airlines do.

FWIW, Malaysia is a very good airline, 5 star rated as is Cathay Pacific. I flew Malaysia about 15 months ago and enjoyed it enormously.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
6. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

Why Cathay Pacific? Malaysia Airlines is now OneWorld also.

I haven't flown CX in a few years and really don't understand why it's 5 star rated. I would expect Malaysia Airlines to be quite a bit better.

Edited: 2:17 pm, February 19, 2013
Boston...
7. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

Malaysia Airlines only flies between LAX and KUL 4 days per week. We need a flight that departs LAX on Thursday, which Malaysia Airlines doesn't do. And we need to depart KUL on Sunday night but Malaysia Airlines only has a flight that departs in the morning.

Thanks for the info about the 3rd party bookers!

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
8. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

How about talk to a travel agent in Chinatown the old-fashioned way? For Far East destinations, these travel agents usually get access to promotional rates, direct from the Far East airlines (Cathay Pacific included) that do not show-up on line.

The compromise though, is that these will be in fare buckets that get you no frequent flier miles.

Boston...
9. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

That's a good idea. Any recommendations for whom to contact? I have no idea where to start.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
10. Re: Advice for flights from LAX to KUL in June

I'm not familiar with anyone in particular in the Boston area. There is a sizeable Asian population and a Chinatown of sorts. Start walking through those business areas, or ask somebody who knows that area, and it won't take long for you to find a travel agent.