We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

Dublin
reviews: 46
BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

Forced to move to BA due to there merge/takeover of BMI, merges my points to avois and bingo I get nothing for all my avois, I used to get upgraded for free on short haul flights with BMI, use of BMI Lounge if delayed, can't even afford a short haul flight, tried to book a night away in a hotel just to get something out of the Avois and they want me to add over 100 euro plus my 23,500+ avois for a hotel I can get for 79 euro if i booked it myself!!!!!!!!! Robbers, Con Men. Crooks who should be jailed along with the bankers, BA Avois worth nothing, Don't be fooled,stay well away from BA Avois

UK
reviews: 81
1. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

Try and spell it right to start with. Avios.

BMI were on the verge of bankruptcy, so had BA not taken them over, you'd have got precisely zip, so no point comparing before with now, compare nothing at all, with now.

Probably all those freebies you were given is part of what forced them into financial difficulties, after all, why bother to pay for first class if you got upgraded for free every time? Consider yourself luck to have gotten away with it for so long.

Also, 20k Avios really isn't that many, I got 10k BMI points in a heartbeat merely for taking out one of their credit cards (and I did that in the speculative chance they would get converted to Avios at 1:1 which they did).

I use Avios mostly for upgrades from WT+ to Club World, excellent value, but I don't expect you to be persuaded so feel free not to use yours, and thus not clash with availability for me.

Edited: 8:05 pm, February 17, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

'... can't even afford a short haul flight ...' Given the new Reward Flight Saver options for booking with X Avios and 35 - 45€, I'd say that's a decent start of a weekend away for very few euro.

If you value the things at one euro cent per Avios, yours are 'worth' 235€, which if you had as cash in hand you wouldn't put aside as useless. One must put a bit of thought into the spending of Avios to maximise their value.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

"Don't be fooled,stay well away from BA Avois"

Been using them regularly for years now and I'm very happy with what I get for my points. Plenty of ways to collect points (aside from flying) and good availability on the routes I tend to use as well. So forgive me for not taking your advice.

uk
reviews: 73
4. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

I was very happy when my BMI points got converted to Avios.

I was gold with bmi so I do miss my Star Alliance gold status but other than that can't say I miss anything about bmi.

If you had sufficient status with bmi to get free upgrades and lounge access then BA would have matched that status so you should still get lounge access, even if you weren't delayed.

I'm not sure what sort of free flight redemption you'd like but as mentioned, there are lots of European destinations you can visit for not many Avios or cash.

uk
5. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

I have also used Avios for years had many upgrades to club class, you have to be flexible, I am currently plotting and planning a trip for next year to South Africa and Mauritius using points and hoping to travel for the first and possible last time in 1st.

Deb

London
reviews: 8
6. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

"Don't be fooled, stay well away from BA Avois"

I totally agree and encourage you to bang that drum harder!

The more people that stay away from avios the more availability it leaves for those of us who know it's a very good scheme.

uk
7. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

Well said little_wong !!

Deb

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
8. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

+ 1

UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

Will people not learn. When people come on with complaints about Avios like this, agree with them.

Do not alert anybody to the fact of the great deals on upgrades, cheap European flights and good hotel deals.

The more we all tell the actual truth about Avios, the more people will want to use them.

So practice "Yes Avios, you can change the spelling to any of Adios, Aovis,Avois, then agree to any of the following, fuel surcharge too high, not enough flights to Sydney in peak time, not enough flights to major destinations that they can sell seats on, how the credit card company ripped them off, there are many more" But the rule is, always agree how bad Avios is.

UK
reviews: 81
10. Re: BA Exective Club Avois Robbery by any other name

Good point Mick, l promise to change my future approach on these sort of posts regards the rubbish Avois (sic) system.