We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

Melbourne...
reviews: 4
Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

Hi, my mum is looking to fly to Venice on her own, she is 81 and needs assistance, I am looking for an airline who can assist her from departure (Melbourne) to arrival Venice.

Can anyone recommend an airline that goes that extra mile? She can get confused at times so she really needs a bit of help.

She can do most things but needs that little bit of personal care.

Apart from accompanying her to Venice myself don't know what my options are.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
1. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

It's not clear what kind of assistance you are seeking. She can get help with a wheelchair and boarding, but it seems as if you almost need someone to care for her, and I don't know any airline that will do this.

Perhaps travel on her own is not a good idea?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
2. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

To avoid too much trouble I would be looking first to see who flies the most direct route to avoid too many stopovers. I think the only airlines to fly with just one stopover would be Emirates (QANTAS) and Qatar. In 2012 Qatar won worlds best airline ... can't get better than that. My father in law (74) missed all his connecting flights in the USA last year because he simply forgot to change his watch to local time. He had 3 connections because he chose the cheapest fare... not good value for his situation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel
reviews: 42
3. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

Japan Airlines and Singapore seem particularly good for that.

Early last year, my mother in law who is in her late 80's, did flights from Australia to Tokyo and on a separate occasion, from Australia to Paris.

On both occasions, she reported that from boarding to arrival, she had a designated attendant who cared for her throughout the flight.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

Most full service carriers off a 'meet and assist' service. As suggested above, find out which airline flies to Venice with fewest stops (to minimise the opportunity for problems) and then ring them to discuss your options.

Last year I had to make a mercy dash to Hong Kong to rescue my 77yo mother who never made it Vancouver....

australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

I'm with post 2...

only airlines that fly Australia land Venice with one stop would be Emirates/Qantas or Qatar, otherwise you are likely to be making a few additional stops with others (AF BA KLM).

Watch out for Emirates as they sometimes go through KL out of Melbourne as well, too many stops to get mucked up and a huge airport to transit in.

Leaning towards Qatar here

Melbourne
reviews: 1
6. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

Hi Mara,

You say "She can do most things but needs that little bit of personal care."

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you mother needs assistance with meals and hygiene, I'm not sure that the cabin crew are able to provide this assistance.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

It may be something else to keep in mind.

Hope it all goes well.

UK
reviews: 88
7. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

More info needed, but if she is going to have issues on a plane flight or at an airport, how will she get around Venice and when finished, get back to the airport?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
8. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

In almost all cases, assistance is booked through the airline but provided by the airport, so it's luck of the draw how helpful the assistance will be. Cabin and ground crew will usually do all they can to help, but their job is to look after 400 or so pax, not one, so if your mum needs help in flight she may be better flying wth a carer (in some cases, carer flies free).

wirral
reviews: 74
9. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

Not so much for arrival at Venice but for departures from Marco Polo it is THE most disorganised,inept and overcrowded European airport I have had the misfortune to experience (in Sept 2011). Especially when American flightsful of returning cruise passengers are swarming the modest concourse. I would not allow my wife to handle Venice Marco Polo alone let alone an aged mother (if I still had one). Post #7 from joe says it all in few words.

All of Venice is severely overcrowded that includes Marco Polo Airport (haven't used Treviso),the streets,the tourist sites and especially the vaporetti.

uk
reviews: 20
10. Re: Air travel assistance for seniors best airline Melb-Venice

In what cases does the carer fly for free? I'm my mums carer and have always without fail had to pay.

Deb