We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Chicago to Florida

Traveling from Chicago to Florida

Hi,

I am obsessed with wearing the appropriate attire. I am leaving Chicago where it is currently 22 degrees and heading to Ft.Lauderdale where it is near 80 degrees. What tips or tricks can you all give to make this transition smooth in the airport? What should be packed in my luggage? What should I do with my bulky winter coat and sweater? Help!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
1. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Florida

Easy. Forget the bulky coat and use layers. Don't bring your coat on the trip at all. Bring a fleece or other lightweight sweatshirt layered with a spring type outer coat. Those two are more than warm enough for the trip to the airport in Chicago, where most of the time you're in a heated car anyway. At the airport, take them off when you get hot and carry them on the plane and put them loose in the overhead.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Florida

That's what I do. I travel with my light windbreaker-type coat. It also serves as a blanket for the plane. No sweaters at all. Takes up too much room.

Canada
reviews: 45
3. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Florida

If someone is driving you to the airport leave the coat with them. If you are leaving your own car at the airport, leave the coat in your car. Why would you want to take a bulky winter coat to florida??

4. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Florida

When I go to the airport in Chicago, i have to take a bus and two trains, with outdoor platforms in between. I've found that careful layering really is enough, and I'm pretty wimpy about the cold. The keys are a fleece on top (doubles as a blanket or pillow on the plane), shirts rather than sweaters, warm socks, a hat, and maybe silk long underwear (it's not too bulky or warm indoors.) I usually have to stop in a restroom at the airport to remove a layer or three, but that's more convenient than lugging a parka around the tropics.

London, UK
reviews: 114
5. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Florida

I do something similar regularly (London to Miami and back) and in the winter, layers is the answer. I nip into the restrooms before bag drop at Heathrow and take off the outer layers, socks, gloves etc. I've worn to travel to the airport and put them into my suitcase to avoid having to wear or carry them on and off the plane. On the way home, I do the reverse, sometimes before bag drop in Miami and sometimes on arrival at Heathrow. Occasionally, I've changed my entire outfit in the airport restroom. Of course it's harder if you're planning on travelling with hand luggage only.

6. Re: Traveling from Chicago to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 21, 2014