We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 2
Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

I'm going to be doing a chunk of international travel over the next few months. The one thing that has me worried is the weight restrictions several international airlines place on carry on luggage...my camera bag is appropriately sized but definitely weighs more than 7kg (or even 10kg) when fully loaded.

Has anyone ever had issues with this? I'll be flying Jetstar, Tiger Airways and Air Asia. Do airlines let it slide because it's camera gear? If not, any suggestions for getting around it?

DC
reviews: 1
1. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

If the weight restrictions don't say "unless it's camera gear, in which case you can carry on whatever you want" then they apply.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

Why should they let it slide? I am confused as to why your camera should be considered more important than whatever it is others want to place in their carryon! Besides the weight restrictions are in place for both safety and weight limits of overhead bins. Weight is weight!

Suggestions for getting around it

a. fly business or first where the allowances are usually more generous

b. take less gear

Edited: 1:22 pm, February 17, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

Take less gear.. Anything that you will use considerably less than others that you can leave behind?

Portland, Oregon
4. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

Rdgladly, in the US a camera bag does not count as being one of your two permitted carry-on bags, and I was unsure of whether similar rules applied internationally in regards to weight.

If anyone else can give more helpful info, it would be appreciated.

Edited: 1:45 pm, February 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
5. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

Rdgadly, in the US a camera bag does not count as being one of your two permitted carry-on bags, and I was unsure of whether similar rules applied internationally in regards to weight.

I am a professional photographer and need to bring my gear for my travels in order to do my work, so losing gear is not an option. I could check it, but would obviously prefer not to for convenience, security and financial reasons.

Just frustrating how it goes by weight.

If anyone else can give more helpful info, it would be appreciated.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

LCCs can be very strict regarding hand luggage.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
7. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

theperinauts--I live 1/2 year in the US and for most of my life lived 100% in the US. Yes, I know most American carriers allow 1 carryon and 1 personal item. Many international flights do not allow 2 items and many strictly weigh carryons. If you check the website of each airline they will tell you the maximum weight. AND they mean it!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
8. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

Hey theperinauts:-) Consider buying one of those safari-like jacket/vest with loads of pockets?;) I call it my 'photo jacket'.. and find it super convenient especially when on photo shoots.. I usually carry a couple of camera bodies along with numerous lenses.. and in the day, the old not so 'collapsable' tripod, lol!! You can use the pockets for some smaller lenses, whatever.. and wear the jacket for the flights;-) Can get cumbersome.. depending on how much you load yourself up with.. but I've yet to have a problem;-) Best.. have fun on what sounds like a fabulous adventure.. and enJOY!

Edited: 3:42 pm, February 17, 2013
Melbourne
reviews: 1
9. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

I'm strictly an amateur photographer, but I can understand your reluctance to check any of your gear. However, as another has stated, LCCs can be stricter than others about weight of carry on bags. When I travel I pack my tripod in my checked bag - in the middle of the case, well padded with clothes for protection - it's never been an issue.

I'm prepared to take a risk that it may be damaged or "lost" in which case I'll get another one at my destination and claim on my insurance. It does mean that my bag seems to be routinely opened by TSA for a look-see.

Besides checking anything that's not computer/body/lens, I don't really have any other helpful suggestions, I know there are various photography forums, maybe check there to see what others have done.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 42
10. Re: Flying with camera gear...weight issues?

The airlines you mention are all very strict with the weight of carry on luggage and they don't give a toss what's inside - could be gold bars or dirty socks for all they care.

Particularly Tiger who once refused to let me carry on a bag that was 7.2 kg - 200 grams more than their limit! (I put the book in my handbag which wasn't weighed). If you are female this could be a solution as they only weigh the carry on luggage - not handbags.

The jacket with big pockets could work too.