We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

Manchester
reviews: 1
Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

We are travelling to West coast USA from Manchester via Heathrow. We can fly down on Friday evening and stay overnight at an airport hotel or fly down on Sat morning which will mean a very early start to what will be a very long day. My question is if we flew to Heathrow on Friday evening would we have our luggage with us overnight or will it be checked through from Manchester to USA? The booking will be all with the same airline and all booked at the same time if that makes a difference.

UK
reviews: 77
1. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

This is an " it depends" question :-)

It depends who the airline is, how long the overnight is, and whether you would be happy for it to be loitering around Heathrow overnight (because in circumstances like this they will usually let you choose)

The reason why it depends on the airline is that they have rules as to what constitutes an "overnight" 12 hours, IIRC, being a common one. So for an 12.5 hour overnight they may not let you even if you want it, 11.5 they would.

So, since you dont say how long the stay is, who the airline is, and whether you'd like it to be transferred for you or would prefer to take it to hotel and back, there is no definitive answer :-)

FWIW when I have an overnight connection I prefer to take it with me even though its more hassle, I always think there is far less chance if it going astray or theft (though there would be very little if anything worth stealing). YMMV.

Manchester
reviews: 1
2. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

Thanks! I didn't think it would be straightforward. The airline is BA, the stay would be longer than 12 hours and I definitely want the cases with me! I think I will try to ring BA.

UK
3. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

No need to ring, when you bag drop at MAN just say you want to collect the bags at LHR and recheck in tne am and they should just tag them through to LHR only.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 16
4. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

I've had 18-22hr transits in the past without having to collect luggage. However, they've been at DXB, SIN, BKK, HKG and other Asian airports with Asian airlines. However, most of them have been through the day, eg from 3am till 11pm, etc. In such cases, I almost always have a hotel room but I prefer not to deal with luggage.

I dont like the hassle of collecting luggage and dropping them off again and keep the essentials with me in my carry-on. There is usually nothing but clothes in my luggage and I always travel with insurance.

I have never been offered the option of collecting luggage at the transit point and I have never asked. Liek Joe says, there may be a threshold after which collecting luggage becomes an option.

UK
5. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

IME overnight is usually a threshold.and whilst I cant recall if they asked me proactively, I always ask and have never had an issue with it being labelled "part way". For example last year I flew Heathrow - Chicago - San Jose - Maui with the overnight stop in San Jose and American had no problem labelling the luggage as far as San Jose only.

Edited: 6:51 am, February 18, 2013
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
6. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

KLM always gave me the option of checking through or collecting my luggage on an overnight connection. I always chose to check through - I can live out of a carryon quite easily for one night and it was much less hassle.

Personally I would also go with the early start on Saturday. It is going to be a long day anyway, and checking in/out of a hotel is just another time waster, not to mention financial expense. Being tired might help you sleep on the plane and pass some of the time.

7. Re: Luggage whilst in transit at hotel overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions