We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 125
Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

Had 3 flights with them in Thailand, Pattaya-Ko Samui, Ko Samui-Phuket & Phuket-Bangkok recently, and have nothing but praise for how good the experience was.

All flights on time, comfortable spacious seating & very pleasant, smiling staff. I had similar experiences with Air Asia last year, and just very impressed with both airlines.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
1. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

I agree. We've flown Bangkok Airways a few times between BKK and USM and have always had a pleasant experience with them - ground and air.

I have flown Air Asia only once, between Bangkok and Macau and while everything was ok, I dont recall anything standing out.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
2. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

Good to hear. They used to fly to Japan, shame they don't anymore.

When in Thailand, I appreciate their complimentary lounges before the flight.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 362
3. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

For me Bangkok Airways is one of the best short haul airline I ever flew with. And if you indulge in business class...

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
4. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

Hi,

Agreed.. They've got a good thing going and have smartly positioned themselves in what really has turned out to be a sweet spot.

They're not a LCC, so don't compete against the likes of AirAsia, Nok or Orient Thai on the domestic front; which tends to be hard as that business model tends to be all about low(er) margin, but high frequency flying with ancillary revenue as a key.. and PG doesn't have the fleet size like AirAsia..... and they have limited international services-- and where they do fly internationally, it is limited competition routes and feeds nicely into their USM fortress hub...

They're not going against the Thai Airways either as they don't have the reach, fleet, routes, staff, etc to do that..

They've invested quite a lot into the hard and soft product and use first-rate hotels, cafes and restaurants out of Bangkok to design their menus.... and their use of interline agreements and code-shares; while a cost-item for sure-- adds a nice network expansion and long-haul feeder traffic to/from BKK...

That's all why their advertising promotional tag line as long been "Asia's Boutique Airline" with a real push on the boutique aspect and the Asia part as they've kept themselves largely focused in this region.

Lastly, their cash cows are their property side-- that's the airport they own outright and lease flying rights to-- that's Samui airport... and to a lesser degree their ground services subsidiary, a JV with the global cargo handler, WFS, to form BFS, or Bangkok Flight Services, who is the #2 provider at BKK after Thai's contract service company.

All told, they've created and nice medium sized niche market that's cost-ineffective for an LCC like AirAsia to effectively penetrate due to the use of (and costs of) lounges, included meals, FBA and interline abilities; but is also a bit too small and network limited, for the like of Thai Airways to really go head-to-head.

Travel Safe,

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
5. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

Hi Gopbi,

Interesting observations. Very smart strategy indeed of Bangkok Airways.

York, England
reviews: 18
6. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

We recently flew with Bangkok airways and were very impressed. The service and staff were great with clean planes and a punctual service. they also got us on an earlier flight to BKK out of Phuket which we appreciated.

We only tried the free lounge in Luang Prabang which was obviously small but again it was much appreciated.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
7. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

We've also only ever had good flights with Bangkok Air, always on time and good inflight service so it's good to read positive reviews about an airline instead of the usual rants

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 144
8. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

We've used them a few times, between Bangkok and Chiang Mai and Phuket, much appreciate by just joining their frequent flyer scheme you get enhanced baggage allowance and use of their lounges.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 125
9. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

People are much more likely to rant/complain when they've had a bad experience, than when they've had a good experience, so its nice to pay a compliment when ones due you feel.

The airline actually built the Ko Samui airport themselves apparently, before which, everybody had to take a ferry to the island.

Bellaria-Igea...
reviews: 196
10. Re: Very impressed with Bangkok Airways

I only flew BKK to Chiang Mai with them. Very class airliner, a pity they are so expensive.