We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
28 reviews
Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Hi,

I recently booked a flight to NZ using predominately FF points but also a small amount of cash.

Now it would appear, due to family illness that I MAY be unable to travel.

I am not due to travel until June, 2013.

If I do have to cancel this trip what would the normal outcome be?

I assume I wouldn't get any refunds and that I would just get a credit for a future flight?

Any advice would be helpful so that I can get organised for when I call QANTAS.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Check your T&C. You may not even get a credit if its a non-refundable ticket

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

One assumes you've read section 15.6 of the QF Frequent Flyer T&Cs? Or maybe had your lawyer explain it to you! :-) (It is written in legal 'Mumbo jumbo'.....)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Just call Qantas, you may get miles put back in account and money you spent credited for future flight but you won't know til you call.

Edited: 2:34 am, February 17, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
369 reviews
4. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

If you "MAY be unable to travel", then it is still be time to buy a travel insurance! It would be quite helpful furthermore if you do leave and have to come back urgently. I would do so before calling Qantas as it would mean you knew when you called which of course would be a cause for the insurance not to pay. The critical point here is to what extent this is a risk (then getting insured is fine) or a fact (then it is too late). You wrote however "MAY be unable...".

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,615 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

As this matter unfortunately involves a pre-existing medical condition it won't be covered by insurance.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
369 reviews
6. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Am not sure, Numbat. It is matter of interpretation. In Switzerland for instance, as long as the case is not obvious (i.e. there is a risk, not a fact), or not excluded from the policy, insurance companies would agree to pay.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

If the OP didn't declare a pre-existing illness and then cancelled and claimed, that's fraud

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Most insurance does not compensate you for tickets on a frequent FF plan. Even if a legit claim, all you probably would get back is the small amount of cash he or she actually paid.

UK
Level Contributor
47,772 posts
91 reviews
9. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

Usually you can cancel a flight and redeposit your ff points back into your scheme for a payment. I don't know the Qantas scheme but that would be my bet. I think you really have to call and ask, and I certainly wouldn't be going down the insurance route (though you should have it anyway) as that would be verging on fraud and as said is unlikely to cover ff points, few if any do.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Cancelling Flights - Any Advice?

EDIT: Just realized you said cash...so this is probably not relevant. Sorry!

If you bought on a credit card with purchase protection, you might be eligible for a refund because of the family illness...I know Chase provides compensation if you have to cancel a trip because of illness in your immediate family...not sure how serious it has to be to qualify though.

Edited: 12:57 pm, February 17, 2013