We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates new Skywards platinum

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 107
Emirates new Skywards platinum

The regular travellers of EK have been talking about this for quite some time now and EK have finally got round to introducing it.

Of course Skywards members will have received notification of this I thought I would just post this as info for everyone else.

So couple of good benefits for that extra 100,000 tier miles that you need, you can use the first class lounge's and your spouse/partner receives automatic Gold status (well thats the way Im reading it).

Good news for some but maybe not much for others.

www.skywards.com/Member_Benefits.aspx…

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 37
1. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

I know a lot of people are complaining about the 150,000 needed for platinum after lots of speculation about the numbers.

Good for those who make it.

The new First class lounge in Concourse A looks fabulous though the old silver lounge is still not open after 5 months.

BTW I got rid of Zingy ;)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
2. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

RIP Zingy!

Yes I have been following other threads (other travel sites are available!!??) with some interest. But since EK changed the way it calculates points and introduced zones and the like, it does make it harder to accumulate to get to the next level. My other half hit 200,000 each year on a few occasions but now its much harder

I really did think it would be around the 100,000 mark, though and do think its too high.

I do wonder how it will affect op-ups though?

But then again its something for nothing as some people say....

Re the Silver lounge, its really bad form on EK's behalf, sure people would rather have the lounge than the paltry 1,000 points.

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 106
3. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

Gosh, it will take a lot of flying to get and maintain it! We can't even maintain silver with a long haul business class flight each yr. On our holiday this yr we will be blue again.

Given how tough it can be to get those tier miles, I wonder how many pax will be able to achieve platinum. Good luck to the lucky ones though!

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
4. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

Can't see me ever reaching that! Hard enough to keep silver these days. An upcoming change of location will have me reassessing my airline loyalty, so who knows how much I'll be flying EK after that. Platinum is a distant dream. Honestly, though, how much flying would you have to do to achieve it?!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

Lots of flying bimdonesia mostly in the premium cabins to achieve the 150,000 tier miles.

But there are quite a few who do achieve this. But as most prob do it for business and travel on their own, the partner Gold card will not be much use.

But then agin Golds are doled out to some companies automatically even if the passenger is flying for the first time with EK.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
6. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

I got just 6000 points for a return flight, England to Hong Kong last year :(

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
7. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

Our Gold status now gone and we're back on Silver, but we won't maintain that this year. With only one return flight to Mauritius in June organised and it being more difficult to attain silver and gold, never mind Platinum, we didn't feel encouraged to book anything else.. EK is going to lose a lot of loyal pax for sure.

Planning holiday early next year to Australia it's now a case of the cheapest and most convenient flights, at one time it would have been EK without thinking about it.

Bronia, what's the latest on the reopening of the skywards lounge?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 37
8. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

Maz I'm waiting for feedback from someone but to date it remains closed.

September to now is a long time for a refurb!

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
reviews: 122
9. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

Didn't someone mention it would be April for the re-opening? As you say a long time for a refurb.

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 868
10. Re: Emirates new Skywards platinum

I thought I did well reaching silver status with them flying long haul with them a couple times in a year but just fell short when they introduced tiers a few years ago.

Since then I have just become price sensitive and go for the cheapest, decent operator.