We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

making bookings on United's Australian website

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 33
making bookings on United's Australian website

Just a trap for young players.

Yesterday I booked a domestic flight in the US on the Australian website.I kept getting an error message when I put my husbands birthdate as mm/dd/yyyy ( as per the instructions ) but of course not the usual format in Aus. Eventually I rang United and got put through to web support who said "oh try putting in dd/mm/yyyy (as we always do in Aus) . I did this and voila - it worked.

Funnily enough I had put my own date of birth in the US format - as instructed - but the website automatically changed it around.

Just caused us a half an hour of frustration trying to work round it - so advice is - if you have trouble ring the help desk!!

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 43
1. Re: making bookings on United's Australian website

Had similar issues booking hotels where I`m switching between US and other sites where you finish up not knowing what date system you`re using, and being told your dates aren`t available as you`re trying to book weeks or months instead of days.

Even our local library is starting to use the US dating system, I assume it`s the software but it`s certainly confusing.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: making bookings on United's Australian website

Same issue on the UK website.

If one date format doesn't work (even if they tell you that's the format they want) try the other. Simples.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
3. Re: making bookings on United's Australian website

DDMMMYY or DDMMMYYYY where the month is alphabetic and the day and year numeric avoids any confusion. I could go on about US gallons, etc, but I'd probably be closed down.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 33
4. Re: making bookings on United's Australian website

Well actually it wasnt that simple because a confounding factor was that by the time we fly he will be a "senior" though he isnt one yet - so at first I thought it was because i booked him as a senior but "it" didnt think he was old enough - so I tried booking him as an "adult" but that didnt work either - that was when I decided that there was something else going on.

5. Re: making bookings on United's Australian website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 18, 2014