We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

Fresno CA
reviews: 25
To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

I’m flying to Brussels in March, and I would like to take a couple bottles of Tabasco (5 ounce) with me. And I would like to bring a few bottles of beer back to the U.S. I plan to pack the beer in checked baggage well wrapped.

Can I expect any problems with customs either way? What customs fees can I expect?

Thanks.

London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

If its all in checked luggage, no problem. In hand luggage any liquids need to be below the 100 ml size. So 5 ounces, by my math, will be over that, and needs to go in checked also.

As you are taking product into the states, any customs issues would be there not in Brussels.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
2. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

I bring back liquor and wine from international trips in my checked luggage fairly often, and have never had customs bat an eye. My only concern with beer would be that since it's carbonated and under pressure, the top could pop on landing when the pressure increases. That said, I'm pretty sure I've brought back beer and that didn't happen.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
3. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

You are allowed to bring one case of beer (24 12 ounce bottles) into the US duty free if you have been gone for 48 hours. You can actually bring as much as you want, but you may have to pay duty after your allowance.

Pressure will not be a problem. Just make sure they are well padded to prevent breakage.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
4. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

"You are allowed to bring one case of beer (24 12 ounce bottles) into the US duty free if you have been gone for 48 hours."

That may depend on where you're returning from. See the below link for US Customs regulations. It's to a pamphlet prepared by the US Customs and explains prcodures, duty free items, duty free limitations, etc.

cbp.gov/linkhandler/…kbyg_regulations.pdf

We have brought back beer from Belgium (4 bottles) and had no problems. If by chance you buy these at the airport in a duty free shop, be sure to put them in your checked baggage before you leave the customs hall and turn your baggage back over to the airline staff. As the US does NOT recognize the use of sealed duty free bags, this prevent the TSA from confiscating your beer.

London, United...
5. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

That's not doable at Brussels ( I live in Brussels and travel via that airport most weeks). The only shops that sell beer are airside, you need to check your bag before going airside. Once there, if you purchase beer, as you can in the duty free shops,myou can't go back to landside and check in your beer, or get your luggage back.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
6. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

"That's not doable at Brussels"

True, but it can be done after you clear customs in the US. Most US customs ports have a bag drop near the customs hall exit where bags that are checked through to your final destination can be returned to airline staff.

London, United...
7. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

An ok, so he could do it on the way out..,

8. Re: To and from Brussels with Tabasco and beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 17, 2014