We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

Melbourne...
Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

We are travelling to Thailand in late October & would like a direct flight from Melbourne to Bangkok however it appears that Thai Airways are the only carrier that does this & their fares are quite expensive. Is there another carrier that does direct flights?

We are now exploring a direct flight from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur and then a connecting flight a day later (so we can fit in some shopping) to Krabi. Air Asia seems the cheapest, any suggestions on the best carrier for this leg. Price is important but so is comfort & I am willing to pay a bit extra for that!

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

is a good site to check for flights - don't take too much notice of the prices displayed, however - better to go to the airline website when you have worked out who flies where.

Having a bit of trouble reconciling your comment that you are willing to pay a bit extra for comfort and then ruling out TG's direct flight as being too expensive. When you factor in the extra time, hassle, possible extra non-airfare costs (hotel, transfers) etc the direct flight wins almost every time imo.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
2. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

i would go with thai hands down. subscribe to their email and you will know when they have a sale.good airline and by the time you factor the extra costs with budget carriers + the extra money you spend at the stop over probably won't be that much different in cost. enjoy

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
3. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

If you want a direct flight,pay the extra for it. THAI is a great airline.

The cheapest option might be Royal Brunei, but transit times can be quite long.

I prefer skyscanner.net for airfare search engine.

4. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, February 15, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
5. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

Reported as spam. How ridiculous to spam for a UK travel agency when the OP is Australian and travelling to Asia.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 135
6. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

A quick search shows Jetstar flys direct ($799 return) and so does Qantas ($910 return). Thai airways ($1110 return).

Really depends on what you consider to be comfort level. I have flown all 3 airlines (I am 6ft3 120kg) and been comfortable on all of them (but remember to select your seat online at booking and pay a few $$ extra for a bit more room)

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
reviews: 5
7. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

If Air Asia are so much cheaper (and I have gone GC (melb/syd get similiar pricing)-KL 4 years running for base price $400 RETURN), consider them, maybe paying extra for exit row or other more legroom seating, and extra luggage for the return flight. A KL shopping (or any other or no reason) stopover is all good.

Edited: 6:56 pm, February 15, 2013
Australia
reviews: 3
8. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

Jetstar also have direct flights, although not daily, and would be comparable to Air Asia for price. I recently purchased a return ticket for $460.

Royal Brunei have improved their timings and the stop-over isn't so bad anymore, although the airport is still quite drap, as is the KL LCCT.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

Is Bangkok or Krabi your final destination? If it's Krabi, then you'd still have to fly from Bangkok to Krabi.

As Krabi is in Southern Thailand, I don't see any point in flying further north to Bangkok first (direct non-stop flight or not) and then change flight to get to Krabi by flying back south. Subject to connecting time & price, flying via Kuala Lumpur makes more sense to me.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
reviews: 1,118
10. Re: Direct Flights from Melbourne to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur

Philippine Airlines has a special for sale until 22 February: A$789 return to Manila plus A$100 (and applicable extra taxes) to Asia. This may be of use. To get the A$789 fare you have to buy it at a travel agent:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

It flies near new Boeing 777300ERs between Melbourne and Manila. Many times better than Jetstar!

Edited: 7:30 am, February 16, 2013