We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

Sarnia, Canada
As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

Going to Maui in November and keeping my eye on the flight prices to get a decent deal. I am Canadian but will be flying out of Detroit. I find that American versions of the same websites (e.g. Expedia) often have lower final price for the same flight as the Canadian site. Is there any reason that I cannot book through the US site?

Thanks

Jamie

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

There is no law preventing you from booking through a US based website.

But conversely there is no guarantee you will get the same price. There may still be differences, if Expedia operates in Canada and you live in Canada, then they might have to apply Canadian taxes or rules to your booking.

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
2. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

Also, the American site is likely to charge you in USD and a currency conversion charge, depending on what credit card you use may be applicable.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
3. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

You may also find that the US version of websites won't accept non-US cards

Romford, United...
4. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

Alanrow-agree with your comments-on a visit to the States decided to get an extra internal flight using a US website and try as I might it would not accept my card-used a uk site and no problem

Canada
reviews: 41
5. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

I use the US sites such as expedia from a Cdn residence with no problem. Exchange rates are not a problem since we are close to par as you know.

If it does pose a problem, you can, for about $5 a month, get an American IP address.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
6. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

I do it all the time but I don't know about Expedia. I always book direct with the airlines.

Nova Scotia
reviews: 44
7. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

It's not only the exchange rate to think about. Some Canadian credit cards will charge a 2% or 3% currency conversion charge in addition to the exchange rate if the site is in USD.

Canada
8. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

For AirTravel bookings, we too go directly to the Airlines' websites....no third party bookings ...

For all US purchases we use our USD BMO MasterCard

bmo.com/home/…us-dollar-mastercard

It has proven to be the most convenient card we have ever had. no exchange fees, service charges etc.Returned items do not lose any value when refunded using the card.

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
9. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

I recently just heard about the Amazon.ca visa credit card. It is the only Canadian credit card that I know of that does not charge foreign transaction fees. The exchange rate they use is the exchange rate that visa would charge for any credit card.

ktown

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
10. Re: As a Canadian, can I book through an American site?

If you buy from expedia in Canada, and you live in Ontario, you are covered by TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario). Basically if the airline folds, you are not left high and dry.

If you buy from American site, you do not have that coverage.

http://www.tico.ca/

Now the odds of a major airline folding and keeping your money are slim, it has happened. Plenty of people in Ontario buy travel from US websites all the time.

Edited: 5:39 pm, February 15, 2013