We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

Niagara, Ontario
reviews: 3
Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

I am looking to book a flight from Toronto to Denmark. I have been to a number of sites but Faregeek and Orbitz have to cheapest flights. As well they show flights that the other sites don't. I have never used either of these sites to book a flight in the past and I would like to know about other's experiences. The difference in price is $200-$300. per ticket.

thanks for the help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

Before booking through any third party, check to see if the fares are available to book directly with the airline(s).

AC sent an email this week saying that they guarantee the lowest fares available when booking at aircanada.com; other airlines have similar guarantees. Make a dummy booking as far as you can at the Orbiz or Faregeek websites to check the complete fare including taxes and fees, then compare that fare with the airline websites.

If Orbitz still offers a cheaper fare then book, but keep in mind that in case of irrops you will need to go through them as an intermediary rather than deal directly with the airline. You should also ensure that you keep an eye on your booking at the airline's website, because communication about changes in flight times may not be passed on by Orbitz to you.

Niagara, Ontario
reviews: 3
2. Re: Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

I have been checking with Air Canada's website and their prices are very high. Faregeek has some flights that combine airlines which of course I'm not going to get at Air Canada.

My question was about the experience with Faregeek and Orbitz as they have prices that are quite a bit cheaper than Travelocity, FlightNetwork, etc. Air Canada will only meet the price of the flight NOT the taxes!

I have booked through a 3rd party quite often but never with Faregeek or Orbitz.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
3. Re: Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

I've used Orbitz for years with no problems.

A couple things to keep in mind.

1. If you have to reschedule, it'll be harder to do. You'll have to do it through the third party site, not directly with the airline.

2. Make sure you understand the itinerary. Third party sites may just give you a bunch of individual flights instead of a linked itinerary. Make sure you know what airlines are actually operating the flights. In particular, make sure you have enough connection time at any stopovers. If you connect between airlines that are not related, they may not recognize each other's tickets, leaving you stranded if your flight is delayed. Or they may not check your bags through, thus requiring you to exit customs and collect bags at a location you were not expecting.

3. Once you book, definitely try to look your itinerary up on the airline's website to check for seat assignments, flight changes, etc.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 265
4. Re: Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

As a policy, I don't use these sites, notably for the reasons wes032 described. In addition, often they will show you a price. And if you go forward, this fare suddenly becomes unavailable (and they offer you a higher one) and/or taxes where not included, ...

Taxes: Part of them are fixed (you'll pay for instance the same airport taxes, whoever is selling you the ticket on any airline for a certain airport), part at the discretion of the airline (e.g. fuel surcharge). But for a certain flight, there shouldn't be a tax difference beyond commercial/handling/sale/whatever you want to call it fee.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
5. Re: Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

If everything's straightforward Orbitz or any other 3rd party are usually very reliable but the problems start when the airline changes the flight time or cancels the flight, you only have to read all the rants on here to see that it's a problem that happens often.

6. Re: Faregeek, orbitz, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions