We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM to charge for luggage

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 64
KLM to charge for luggage

I have just received an email from KLM,for tickets purchased after 22 April there will no longer be a free luggage allowance.

For bags up to 23kgs it will be €15 each way prebooked, at the airport €30.

It mentions the Flying Blue members can avoid this but does not give details and as yet there are no changes on the website.

Guess this goes for AF as well, who will follow next!

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

I saw this, it is quite a bold step. I understand the rationale behind it, but this could go very wrong for klm.

They say it s only on European flights. Does this include longhaul with European connection to schiphol.

Will people abandon KLM in droves or as they say, most passengers within Europe travel with only hand luggage only so maybe nobody will care. Only time will tell.

Brave and bold or stupid. We shall see

businesstraveller.com/news/klm-to-charge-for…

:-)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

Is this for all routes? AF already has tthis in place for their 'mini fares' though these are sold on specific routes only. I wonder if KLM is doing something similar.

Edit: Just read the link above which seems to answer my question. Still, if Flying Blue membership is enough to avoid the fee it's easy enough to avoid.

Edited: 1:54 pm, February 14, 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
3. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

There are still enough like me with a checked bag,I guess it means even less space in the overheads!

It says FB members still have a free allowance not sure if this is for all or just elites.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
reviews: 103
4. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

Here is the official info from KLM about the Changed baggage rules

for European KLM flights:

klm.com/travel/…index.htm

All FB members will have a free allowance.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

That article seems to say elites no longer get extra alowance ;-( it is not often I use it but,grrr

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

I wonder if this is done as much to get people to enroll in their FF program than to get money from people paying for luggage? Hard to see that many people would pay the fee, especially if they make a big about how you can avoid it on their website.

Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
reviews: 857
7. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

Although I have flown with them rarely, another FF program I will have to join just to avoid the charge!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

Interesting that it doesn't say anything about waiving the charge for SkyTeam Elite Plus members. So if you're say a Delta SkyMiles Platinum, would you have to pay for the checked bag on a stand alone AMS-LHR flight?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
9. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

Hi,

a bIg move as i see it, but I suspect its a cost-recenue reality they're either at or quickly approaching.

By that I mean I bet if we could get a look at their financials relative to route and market structure that we'd see their short haul services revenue to costs ratio is poor and not going to get markedly better for a variety or reasons; some competitive and some structural.

Therefore they've got to do something to at least shore that up, but not in a manner that pushes them down the fare-only based search engines.

I also bet if we looked at the total passenger count that this now applies to, then take out all those who are exempt (FFPs etc) that the total number or percentage of the pool who will be subject to the charge isn't really all that huge.

I think the test will be found in how do he other network carriers respond as I think like it is with air fares, its very hard to be the only airline in your peer group to be doing, charging for or otherwise "out of step" with the group at large.

Travel Safe,

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
10. Re: KLM to charge for luggage

Well it seems that one free bag goes whether one has a basic ivory card or a platinum. So they have just annoyed a lot of elite pax who might fly in biz class for long haul but use eco for short and holidays.

Amazingly even the call centre staff were not aware that this is happening, seems badly planned!

Get answers to your questions