We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 28
Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Hi, having recently flown Emirates and SIA, I was shocked to discover I had to fork out an extra A$25/sector just to confirm seating when this was free on EK & SIA's websites.

Am I crazy to pay for this and should I simply show up at check-in and get it done for free?

Curious to know what others think/advise?

I'm flying QF to Hong Kong next month & Dubai>UK in Oct.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

I think you can select your seat without charge if you do it as part of the on-line checkin which opens 24 hours before your flight. My experience is that there are plenty of vacant seats then.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
2. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Depends if you're travelling alone or with others who you don't want to be separated from.I think it's heinous how they do it (especially considering their fares are often very high and the onboard product pales in comparison to EK or SQ. Wonder with the EK tie-up if they will still do it?

Sydney, Australia
3. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, i'm travelling with my partner, and QF told me today they'll continue to do it.

Oh well, you live and learn why other airlines are indeed a better product/service.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
4. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Or you could fly Cathay Pacific ... they do not allow seat selection at all for economy. Virgin charge as well, as do British Airways, Singapore, Malaysian and many others. So QANTAS is not alone in this.

UK
reviews: 81
5. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Oh well, you live and learn why other airlines are indeed a better product/service.

-----

You can't look at the fee in isolation, it depends what the total package is. Even if you only care about cost, it depends what the total cost is.

Suppose Qantas *plus* the $25 fee is still less than a comparable airline that has "free" seat selection? Does that mean Qantas is bad now or did you change your mind?

I fly BA mostly, they'll also headed. Sometimes I pay it, sometimes I don't, it depends how quickly te seats are getting allocated. For economy people often say you'll have no issues getting seats as long as you check in right on te 24 hour mark, but that's not always te case. If you care about it, them just factor the $25 per leg into the price, and make your decision based on that price.

UK
reviews: 81
6. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Hmm, iPad autocorrection strikes again

"I fly BA mostly, they'll also headed" should have been "I fly BA mostly, they also charge" !

Melbourne
reviews: 7
7. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

I'm flying MEL-LAX-JFK return with Qantas later this year. I paid for seat allocation - $200 for me and my bf as they charge $25/sector/pp. I just took it into account when comparing flights. I do care where I sit so I prefer to pay the fee.

Unfortunately quite a few airlines charge for this now.

Sydney, Australia
8. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Thanks all for your comments - clearly something to take into account when booking - I was just taken aback as hadn't flown QF for so long, just assumed it was normal practice to be able to log-in and book one's seats!

Its not Ryanair after all.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 36
9. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

>>Or you could fly Cathay Pacific ... they do not allow seat selection at all for economy. Virgin charge as well, as do British Airways, Singapore, Malaysian and many others. So QANTAS is not alone in this.

Is this a new thing for Cathay Pacific? I have always selected my seat when purchasing the seat online. Also you can do online check-in 48hrs before the flight so you can select/change your seat then.

Singapore definitely allow you to select your seat in Economy. Just did it a couple of days ago.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
10. Re: Having to pay to book seats on Qantas Economy

Cathay Pacific.... Seat Request

1. Who is eligible to request a seat?

The following customers can request a seat in advance

Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above

All First and Business Class passengers

Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.

Singapore ...

And I am a bit wrong about them ... to select a "preferred seat" costs $50 US. Booking online you can select a seat free but not through an agent or third party, must be 48 hours prior.