We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air travel between US and Europe

Kansas City...
Air travel between US and Europe

I'm trying to book flights to and from Europe. When a flight is listed under one airline, but says "operated by" another airline (probably a partner), which of the 2 airlines is actually providing the plane and crew? There are certain airlines whose planes and crews I definitely want to avoid, but these airlines provide the vast majority of inexpensive choices. But in every case, there is a listed airline and then an "operated by" airline.. How can I be sure I'm not flying on the "bad" airlines' planes?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
1. Re: Air travel between US and Europe

If for example you see a flight number AA3928 from ORD to LHR showing as 'operated by British Airways' then the flight will be on a BA plane with BA crew and BA service. AA sell the flight at their website but it's BA who do the work on the day.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Air travel between US and Europe

Those dreaded code shares!

As TP says, the operating airline (on whose plane you'll be flying) is the one listed as "operated by ....".

It's a pain reading search engines, and still even some departure boards, as you can see many combinations of options listed from different airlines which all turn out to be the same flight(s).

Edited: 2:32 am, February 14, 2013
Kansas City...
3. Re: Air travel between US and Europe

Exactly what I need to know! Thanks so much for your quick replies.

4. Re: Air travel between US and Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 16, 2014