We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas or Virgin Australia

auckland
reviews: 7
Qantas or Virgin Australia

Any preferences for Qantas or Virgin Australia flying Melbourne to Los Angeles economy class?

VA is cheaper, they both have 2 bags alowance, but thinking more aircraft type, service, on time record?

24 replies to this topic
South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

VA use 777s. seats are as hard as all get out. 3 hours into the 14 u r wondering why did i choose this airline. well we did anyway so wont ever fly them long haul again.

service on VA far outweighs anything i have experienced on qantas.

arriving at the delta terminal in LAX is a good option compared to TBIT in terms of immi/customs..

but then u fly out of T3 which is the pits.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
2. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

I’ve flown economy both to the US.

I very much enjoyed V Australia – the service was great, the entertainment was great, the food was fine. I didn’t find the seats any worse than any other airline.

When I flew Qantas, I flew on their A380. Fantastic plane.

Overall:

- If V Australia was significantly cheaper I would happily fly them.

- If prices were around the same / the difference in price wasn’t a lot but the Qantas flight WASN'T on an A380, I would fly V Australia.

- If prices were around the same / the difference in price wasn’t a lot and the Qantas flight WAS on an A380, I’d fly Qantas.

Australia
reviews: 20
3. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

I've flown both too and agree with Lien that the service on VA was excellent, much better than Qantas. Both flights we had no problem with delays but that's something you can't control really.

I'd go with the cheapest option.. lets face it that flight is never going to be comfortable in economy class!! I tend to get up every few hours and have a walk around and a good stretch which I find helps enormously.

Edited: 8:55 pm, February 13, 2013
Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 11
4. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

I gave up with Qantas years ago.

Virgin have an excellent record with service__on time etc.

We wouldn't use anyone else now. I never have had a problem with hard seats but I know others have mentioned it like lien .

Looking forward to putting my behind into one of their seats again in a couple of days.

USA-OHIO
reviews: 16
5. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

We are booked in both economy and business next fall and hope we made a good decision. Please keep the posts up. Thank you.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
6. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

I've flown both and enjoyed both so would go with price/schedule.

Brisbane Australia
reviews: 29
7. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

We flew VA BNE to LAX and return last year and were very happy with our flight.

The service was really good and the food reasonable (for airline food) and both our flights were right on time. The seats were a little hard but I took a small pillow with me and sat on it which solved the problem. The price was considerably less than Qantas so if price is a major consideration, go with VA. You won't be disappointed.

South Pole
reviews: 39
8. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

i have discussed the VA seat situation with management on a social basis.

they say it is a common complaint but it is what it is.

imo the SQ 777 seating is similar but not as bad esp when compared to their old 747 seats. SQ A380 seating is in between. u would think an extra inch (couple of cms) of padding/seat would not add much weight to an aircraft.

Edited: 6:49 pm, February 14, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
9. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

This year will be our 3rd trip in 3 years with Virgin Australia to USA. As mentioned previously, service, food, entertainment was all very good. If I could guarantee my flight with Qantas would be on an A380 I might consider Qantas for a change.

Paying $1077 return Melb/Los Angeles with Virgin. Qantas does not come anywhere near that even with their big sale.

10. Re: Qantas or Virgin Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, February 03, 2014

Reply to: Qantas or Virgin Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted