We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

Perth, Western...
Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

Hey guys I just have a question will me and my partner need a transit visa if we are to travel from Perth to Korea transiting Beijing airport?

Here are my flight details:

I have an australian passport and my partner has a hong kong passport.

flight details:

Depart perth international airport at 8.50am, stop over at Baiyun international airport guangzou then arrive to beijing capital airport at 11.15pm.

Then depart beijing capital airport at 8.20 am arriving to gimpo international airport seoul.

then reverse on the way back to perth at the end of the trip.

Any advice would be appreciated cheers guys

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

>> Depart perth international airport at 8.50am, stop over at Baiyun international airport guangzou then arrive to beijing capital airport at 11.15pm.

Then depart beijing capital airport at 8.20 am arriving to gimpo international airport seoul.<<

The answer is almost certainly YES - and it **may** have to be a Visitor/Tourist Visa not just a transit visa (you'll need to look that up).

Your flights are Perth-Guangzhou, Guangzhou-Beijing, Beijing Seoul.

That means that you will have a Chinese domestic flight Guangzhou-Beijing, meaning you will have to clear Chinese Immigration and Customs at Guangzhou and travel within the PRC.

While the PRC has expanded its visa waiver program for international transit, it still (appears to) only apply to passengers arriving on international flights and departing on international flights **in the same city**, and those cities are limited to Shanghai (PVG and SHA) and Beijing (PEK).

visaforchina.org/SYD_EN/…257140.shtml

So, as you are arriving at one Chinese gateway, then flying domestic to another before departing, as I see it you **may** need to have a Chinese Visitor Visa (not just a transit visa) to complete this journey.

Edited: 4:05 am, February 13, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
2. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

^^^ And, if you're taking the same route back, then the same would apply. You'd need a second or multi-entry visa.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 270
3. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

USBT is probably right. This is also the conclusions of http://cibtvisas.co.uk/, at least for you (Australian). It might be easier for your partner (Hong Kong). Better hurry as a Chinese visa is not the quickest thing to get...

4. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:44 pm, February 13, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 270
5. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

First, it is crazy to publish such personal information on a public website. Please remove it ASAP for your own safety! Use the "report content" for this.

Second: I don't see a stop in Guangzou in your routing. You will remain airside at Beijing airport. No visa then I guess.

Sydney,Aus
reviews: 7
6. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

The word naïve immediately springs to mind here.

Way to much info Eric S

Perth, Western...
7. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

ahh thanks swiss diver...I ask this because on my itinerary it says there is a stop over at Baiyun airport in Guangzou but it has no time on arrival/departure, but on my E ticket it doesn't have the stop over....so thats why I am very very confused but yes I have requested for the top post to be removed....

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
8. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

OP, in your original post you said there is a stopover at Guangzhou (CAN). And, checking flight CZ320 there IS a stopover at CAN. China Southern do not fly non-stop PER-PEK.

>> CZ320 - depart Perth (PER) 8.50am, arrive Guangzhou (CAN) 5.15pm, depart CAN 8.00pm, arrive Beijing (PEK) 11.15pm. Equipment for both legs is an A333.

I take that to mean that the second leg of your journey is a domestic flight within the PRC.

I don't know for sure (100%) whether a visa is necessary, but with a domestic sector, that usually means you have to clear immigration. It's possible that CZ may obtain a visa for you, but again I don't know that and you will need to check for yourself.

I suggest that YOU contact China Southern, and/or the nearest Chinese Consulate as soon as possible to find out for sure.

Perth, Western...
9. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

yeah ill ring china southern airlines to confirm today

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
10. Re: Will I need a transit visa ???? Urgent !

Eric,

Please let us know what you find out. There is the immigration law of the PRC, but sometimes we hear that the airlines can get you a visa themselves. It would be useful to know what happens in this case.

And don't forget that if you do need a visa, if you're flying back the same route (Gimpo-PEK-CAN-PER) then that's a second entry required into the PRC and so you'd need a multi entry visa (or a dual entry if that's available).