We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing flight dates

Southport, Australia
Changing flight dates

I booked two flights from PDX to YVR for JUN through Orbitz. After rechecking flight dates i realised i booked this flight on wrong date. Cancellation or change fee totals $360. Includes airline and Orbitz change fees. The ticket has already been paid via mastercard. To change the tickets you have to phone them and I CANNOT get through. The number they give is not contactable from Australia. Yes, I rang the number they give for callers outside of the US.

It would work out cheaper if I just rebooked tickets for the correct date (about $300) and just do a no show for the first lot of tickets.

I did ring Canada Airlines (Indian call centre) and will cost $300 to change dates but I am worried if I don't go through Orbitz there may be hiccups with double charging.

Has anybody tried to ring Orbitz from Australia and been successful.

Any advice welcome.

UK
reviews: 84
1. Re: Changing flight dates

It would work out cheaper if I just rebooked tickets for the correct date (about $300) and just do a no show for the first lot of tickets.

------

If you no show all subsequent fights on the same itinerary are liable to be cancelled so don't do that

Did you try 0011-1-312-416-0018 ?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Changing flight dates

joe

I read it that it would be cheaper to simply buy a new ticket for the flight from PDX to YVR and simply throw away the original ticket for the wrong date.

OP - If my reading is correct there shouldn't be any issue with buying a new ticket for this stand alone flight although note joe's point in reply #1.

You were honest enough to admit it was your error and a reminder to everybody to check and double check all the details such as names/dates etc before pressing the buy button.

UK
reviews: 84
3. Re: Changing flight dates

Tom you are right i misread it*, so yes Joann, forget about changing the flights, just buy new tickets.

* when the OP said "first set of flights" I mistakenly read that as a connection and missing first leg. My bad.

Edited: 4:59 am, February 13, 2013
Southport, Australia
4. Re: Changing flight dates

Thanks Joe for that number. It does connect :)

Tom you did read correctly and your warnings are spot on. It was one leg of six separate internal flights in the US. Different tickets and airlines, so no connections.

Only discovered it when collating and cross referencing a detailed itinerary.

If I can add any advice, it would be to book directly with the airline instead of a third party booking agency. Particularly if the prices are comparable as it would save those extra cancel or change fees from the extra party, if you needed to change the dates for whatever reason. Unfortunately, becoming a bit brain dead is not a valid excuse:(

somerset
5. Re: Changing flight dates

Joann - sorry to hear of your problems but good advice there to book directly with the airline. If you do have any issues it is much easier (and usually less costly to sort out) than booking through a third party.

And it is advice given so often on this forum in the wake of problems encountered by those who have booked through third party agents/facilitators.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Changing flight dates

Joann, good on you for admitting your mistake and your advice to book directly with the airlines.

Did you speak with Orbitz and what was their advice? If you are going to just cut your losses with that ticket and book a new flight, check out Alaska Airlines who also serve PDX-YVR using their regional arm Horizon Air. It's just possible you may get a better fare with them.

Southport, Australia
7. Re: Changing flight dates

Only got as far as the recorded voice asking for my phone number... "Please say again, this is not a valid number." "Please say again, did not get that." "Please say again, this is not a valid number." " Please say again, did not get that." (Aggghhh!)

Think we will cut our losses and book with Alaska Airlines, USBT. They are cheaper, around $250 for two tickets. (Thankyou)

Saint Louis...
reviews: 13
8. Re: Changing flight dates

For US flights I use Southwest whenever possible as they do not charge any change fees - only the fare difference, if any. These must be booked through the Southwest only and are not available through third parties.

9. Re: Changing flight dates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 15, 2014