We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

UK
reviews: 155
Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

We have booked virgin flights to the US. when you log in it offers you to bid for an upgrade. I don't understand this as the minimum upgrade offer is actually more than we would have paid to buy a premium economy ticket outright! So I dont get the point of it!! Does it get cheaper as you get closer to the date??

UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't :-)

Re the upgrade price being more, well it looks like you could have had PE at a good price which in retrospect or even at the time, you should have taken.

I wonder how much PE is to buy outright now on your dates then?

UK
2. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

That depends on how much you believe PE is worth. I would pay at most £200 each way, realistically i think it is probably worth about £150 (I am only 5 foot 3 so can easily curl up in an economy seat, my 6foot3 partner it is not so easy). The difference in price we were offered for PE vs economy was £650 total. We noticed the bid thing as soon as we booked and even at that time was more than we could have paid outright to start with.

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

That depends on how much you believe PE is worth.

----

Err, I think you misunderstood? I was just asking how much PE was to buy now, today, for the dates of your flight if an upgrade itself costs more than a new ticket at the time of your purchase.

UK
4. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

5 minutes after we had booked the flights and looked at the cost of both economy and pe, the minimum bid was more than the difference between economy and pe - hence my question of what is the point, if I was prepared to pay that difference I would have paid it immediately and guaranteed the seat...

5. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:47 am, February 14, 2013
UK
6. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

I'm not touchy, you seem to be missing the point of the question! The amount we paid is irrelevant.

7. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:47 am, February 14, 2013
Winchester, United...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

I am not being offered this option. I can't find any link to allow me to do this. What am I doing wrong?

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
9. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

Ellie, you are not doing anything wrong, you do not always get offered to bid for an upgrade.

London
reviews: 73
10. Re: Virgin Bid for an Upgrade

What route are you flying?

I would guess that routes on which they regularly fill the PE / UC cabin will not be offered for upgrade.