We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

California
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
73 reviews
AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

Please advise! Has anyone used an award booking service such as AwardBookingService.com to fly business class using POINTS?

We are new to the game of flying business or first class using POINTS. My husband has accumulated a ton of points. Now it's time to see how we can book business or first class tickets for our trip. The process of flying using POINTS seems VERY confusing.

We want to fly from San Diego or LAX to Cape Town, South Africa, and flying via London seems like the best plan, with a possible overnight or 2 in London. We normally just fly coach, but this will be the furthest we've ever flown. I'm a poor flyer, suffering from claustrophobic anxiety, etc. So flying business or first class would help a lot.

We love to travel. I HATE HATE HATE airports, security lines, feeling trapped on a plane, etc. The more comfortable the flight, with distracting movies, meals, and roomy seats, the calmer I am able to fly. Don't need any advice about meds, please, I have my doc for that. (-;

British Airways seems like our top choice so far?

Sorry I'm confused about this process. My husband has been in charge of accumulating the points, mainly through credit card programs, etc.

This will be the furthest we've ever flown, and the first time we've ever tried to fly business or first class with points. Thanks for any help.

What do you think about using an award booking service?

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

Why can't you do it yourself.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
66,418 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

I think it is a very bad idea to rely on a third party when booking award flights. If the airline gets a sniff that you are selling points, your points account will be closed and you will loose all your points.

Go to the web site of the airline that issued the points and book there.

Madrid
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

I think it is a very bad idea to rely on a third party when booking award flights. If the airline gets a sniff that you are selling points, your points account will be closed and you will loose all your points.

I think the OP has earned the points,just considering as booking service to book flights with her points.

California
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

sydneynick: Sigh, I don't understand your reply. I don't know what selling points means. I don't think these points were awarded by any particular airline. They are points related to credit cards. It is my understanding that they can be used by any airline, but I could be confused. Although I'm usually the trip planner, in this case, my husband has been the one in charge of trying to accumulate points for flying business class.

Since I don't understand this, I'll just pass on any info here to him, and let him be in charge of the flights. I'm in over my head.

Numbat: You ask why I can't do it myself. This is the most challenging trip I've ever planned. Although we usually prefer to travel independently, I'm starting to wish we had just let a travel agent plan this whole trip to South Africa.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

I took a look at the website, and .... the good news is that .... at face value it does NOT appear to be a company that barters in frequent flyer miles (which would be against the airlines' T+C's and could lead to a ticket being canceled).

They do appear to be offering some kind of "service" (for a fee) to get you the "best" flights using your own miles. They also appear to be very new and vague on their website, so it could just be one or two people with websites open ready to search airline sites, or even post questions on forums like this!

So, as re #1, I'd say why not either (a) work it out for yourself, or (b) use FREE services, like us here on the Air Travel Forum, or your airline(s)' frequent flyer thread(s) on Milepoint or FlyerTalk. If your question on this forum is valid, we generally don't flame. :)

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,511 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

With which FFP have you accumulated miles?

California
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

USBusinessTraveller: Thanks for your kind answer. I am totally bewildered!!! Probably I've been very unclear in my questions, and there is a lot of this I don't understand. If you click on my name, you will see I'm an independent traveler with lots of history on tripadvisor.

However we usually just buy the standard coach seats. This time I told my husband, I just can't fly in the cheap seats all the way from San Diego to Cape Town! He said that business or first class is too expensive. But he has earned us the points by applying for credit cards that have reward points, etc. Today he said we might nearly have enough points. But we have never even flown business class before.

I asked this question because I was nervous when he mentioned that maybe it would be easier to let an award booking service book our flights with our points, because how do I know it's legitimate? I'm accustomed to relying on tripadvisor and fodors forums for trip planning info.

Here is the problem. I'm usually the trip planner, and tripadvisor info is very reliable, has never failed me! But I turned over the research for business class flights to my husband, but he hasn't been using tripadvisor for his research! He's looking at other web-sites that I'm not familiar with. Makes me nervous.

I probably shouldn't post any more airline questions til I have him explain things to me more clearly. I will try to get more detailed info.

What's FlyerTalk? Is that a specialized forum?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

Milepoint - milepoint.com/forums/…

FlyerTalk - www.flyertalk.com/forum/airline-programs-374/

Click on your frequent flyer program for information and to ask questions. Hint: If it's United, stick to Milepoint - the United FlyerTalk forum is still full of elite frequent flyers whining about the merger and how they don't get as many free upgrades as before. :)

Or, why not do this? Give us here as much information as you can. Which frequent flyer program you have the miles with? From where and to where (and via where) you want to travel? Class of service (sounds like business class)? Which dates (roughly)? We can probably give you as a minimum some guidance to help you, and it won't cost you $99 per person. :)

uk
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
257 reviews
9. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

The OP and subsequent seem to me to be self-promotion of the website name in the title, positioned as "Poor me, I can't begin to work out how to use points to book ticket"

Sorry if I'm harsh or wrong - just an impression

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,417 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: AwardBookingService.com?! Flying Business with POINTS?!

I'm with Jeremy, this thread smells worse than the odour on the Carnival floating prison in the Gulf of Mexico.