We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Baltimore, Maryland
Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

I am arriving terminal eight JFK from Baltimore, will connect to my Paris flight leaving 50 min later. Do I have enough time? Is terminal eight a domestic and international terminal? Thank you for any help, usually fly out of baltimore or washington, don't know JFK. Flying American Airlines leaving New York 5:05 pm

Edited: 11:02 pm, February 11, 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
1. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

I think you can manage this if your flight from Baltimore arrives on time. I try to avoid plane transfers of less than 2-3 hours because I always seem to be on the plane that was delayed because a flight attendant didn't show up or an overhead compartment didn't work.

I wouldn't worry too much. If your flight is late they will re-book you for the next available flight.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 268
2. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

This is more of a general answer since I've been to JFK for a while now. But 50 minutes seems awfully short to me, especially on the busy East Coast where a delay is not something exceptional. There is however another flight later should you miss this one, but if it is full, then you might have to spend the night at JFK...

Meanwhile keep in mind you'll be considered as an international passengers in Baltimore so do get there well in advance.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Who are you flying INTO JFK? Is it also American and are you on one ticket? Generally I would say no way 50 minutes.

This link

aa.com/i18n/…arrivalTimes.jsp

gives you AA's minimum times. Unless THEY booked you with this connection I would be very very concerned!

BTW you will NOT be an international passenger in Baltimore! The only 'international status" you may have is a larger luggage allowance.

Edited: 5:45 am, February 12, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 268
4. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

rdglady,

Got caught in MIA few years ago. Itinerary was AA to NRT via JFK. Because I got in "only" about 2 hours before, they refused to check my luggage through because I was an "international traveller" so was supposed to get there before! Had to make miracles in JFK to collect luggage (we were 4) and check in again...

Baltimore, Maryland
5. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Thanks for the responses, they’ve been helpful. It is an international flight booked through American Airlines from Baltimore, so hopefully they’ll take care of getting my checked bags onto the right plane, etc. Just noticed the 50 min layover, thought it was awful close.

Baltimore, Maryland
6. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Thanks for the responses, they’ve been helpful. It is an international flight booked through American Airlines from Baltimore, so hopefully they’ll take care of getting my checked bags onto the right plane, etc. Just noticed the 50 min layover, thought it was awful close.

Baltimore, Maryland
7. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Thanks for the link/ I'll check with American airlilnes--it is their ticket from Baltimore to Paris with this connection. Just noticed the short layover. Appreciate your help ;-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think you'll have any problems, although your JFK-CDG flight is obviously international it's treated no differently from a domestic departure (with the exception it's a larger plane with more people to board) so you'll just walk from your arrival BWI gate to your CDG departure one. Assuming you arrive on time no problems.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
9. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

I don't like tight connections like that when going onto an international flight.

Usually there is only 1 flight a day to that destination and if the first plane is at all late you won't make it.

Most international flights these days start boarding about 1hr. before they leave so you'll be coming in at the end of the boarding process which always means less room in the overhead bins(if that matters to you)

I'd call American but I think next time you should be aware of looking at connection times when you first book your flights!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
10. Re: Connecting flt terminal Eight: 50 min enough time?

Inasmuch as it is one ticket AA is responsible if you miss the flight. They will get you on the next available flight ie. one with open seats, not necessarily the next one that goes to Paris. They would also be responsible if you needed to spend the night. If for some reason you DID miss the flight and they had nothing that day I would argue ( rationally, yelling usually gets you nowhere) for them to put you on another carrier. The fact that they ARE responsible makes me feel, that despite what their website says, they feel they can do it. Just make sure when you land at JFK you go directly to the new gate, do not pass go, do not collect $100 and do not give them a chance to blame you if you miss the flight. ( monopoly players will get my directions)