We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

San Diego
reviews: 3
Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

I am about to book a flight to Washington DC for myself and my 85 yr old aunt. I am using Frequent flyer miles on American. They are offering insurance for $24 per person that covers, among other things, $300 toward the cost of a cancelled trip which includes the cost of reinstating miles.

If my aunt were to get sick or ?? and we need to cancel, it would cost $175 to put my miles back into my account. I think it seems like a good idea to buy this insurance.

What do you think?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Insurance always seems like a rip-off until you need it. $24 is a lot less expensive than $175.

Edited: 11:01 pm, February 11, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Since your aunt is 85 years old, you may wish to go through the insurance coverage details very carefully. Should Aunt OK have a chronic condition or have had even the merest hint of an acute episode of an old condition that causes her no problems day to day, that might be viewed as something that could make a claim invalid.

Hopefully all will go well for both of you and you will not need to claim.

Edmonton
reviews: 13
3. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Sucks to spend money on something you don't need, but if you do need it, you will be very thankful. I would double check all the conditions though for your aunt as posted above.

San Diego
4. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

At age 85 I guess almost everything might be a pre-existing condition!

San Diego
5. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

At age 85 I guess almost everything might be a pre-existing condition!

Madrid
reviews: 6
6. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Check to see if there is an age limit on the policy.

San Diego
7. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check and there is not age limit.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 12
8. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

The pre existing clause is important to study though- if she is on any meds for blood pressure , heart conditons etc, anything related to that would probably be called pre existing and would not be covered. and if her existing medical records mention any chronic condition and she deelops a problem related to it, that woud be excluded too.

Berkeley, CA
reviews: 12
9. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Looking at the policy, it is hard to imagine that any illness suffered by your aunt wouldn't be considered by the insurer as precluded by the preexisting condition exclusion. Insurance companies are in business to collect premiums and deny claims, sometimes even when claims are clearly covered under the policy. Here, they might actually have an argument for denial that isn't absurd on its face. As the insurance will cost $48, the amount that you will recover is really only $127. Personally, I think that I would take the risk rather than wind up donating $48 to an insurance company.

San Diego
10. Re: Insurance to cover reinstating frequent flyer miles

Already purchased the insurance. For some reason the amount was $26 per person at the time of purchase. My aunt is very healthy the only med she is on is for osteoporosis, so she had better not fall!

I do have 10 days to cancel if I change my mind. You are probably right that I should forget the insurance and hope for the best. Only wanted it to cover the miles being added back to my acct.