We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

San Diego...
Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

My long-distance (now ex) girlfriend was coming to visit me on March 1. Is there any way to recuperate any money from the ticket or transfer it to another person? Will they refund the money as Delta credit maybe?

From searching, it sounds like it is just not possible. Will I get anywhere by calling Delta or is this a lost cause?

Thanks.

Edited: 7:17 pm, February 11, 2013
25 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

Hi,

You can try of course.. Airlines do however tend to play pretty close to the rules that are in effect, and you agreed to, at the time of ticketing.

Again, you can try and see what they say, but I suspect unless you have a significant (and documented) personal event- like a death or similar, that they'll apply whatever is the rules to your fare.

I'd first start by reading the specifics that apply to you ticket-- that way when (and if) you do call, you know what the rules are, and if you decide to ask for some discretion, you know what is a reasonable thing to ask for.

Travel Safe,

Edmonton
reviews: 14
2. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

In my experiences, Delta is not very bendy when it comes to rules. However, you can cancel it and it can be used for a credit up to a year (after you pay the change fee of about $150). You can't transfer it unless she takes the ticket to a DL ticket office and brings with her the person she wants to book the ticket under. They may do that for you, but since she's your ex, she may not be willing to do that for you.

Good luck:)

Iowa
reviews: 32
3. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

No name changes. This from the Delta website....

All tickets are non-transferable per the fare rules. Name changes are not permitted.

delta.com/content/…customer-care-faqs.html

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
4. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

I think it is possible you can get them to agree to refund the taxes only from the cancelled ticket- otherwise I think you are out of luck on the rest- no name changes etc are allowed.

South Pole
reviews: 38
5. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

u obviously paid for the ticket.

then u must have ticked the non passenger box and used your credit card when booking. DL would have those details.

i think it's worth discussing the flight credit situation.

Edmonton
6. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

I know they say non transferable, but I've had luck going down to the DL office and changing it that way for my clients (have to sign a form) and the traveling pax must be present and the person who you want to change it to. This doesn't seem likely in this situation

San Diego...
7. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

Thank you all for the information. Still trying to figure out a solution. She and my family are on the other side of the country, so having them present to sign the form wouldn't work. Thanks for the info though.

If we took the $150 change fee to get credit for it, would the credit only be able to be used on a flight for her? Could she use the credit to pay for a flight for myself or my family to pay me back?

Edmonton
8. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

No the credit would only have to be for her, unless like I said, going down to the office and trying to get them to switch. But, as of now, she owns that ticket and can do whatever she wants with it.

San Diego...
9. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

Well right I understand she can do whatever she wants with it, but can she actually do whatever she wants with it? Can she purchase a ticket for someone else or does it need to be a ticket for herself. She is offering to buy a ticket for my family later with it, but I don't think that is allowed?

South Pole
reviews: 38
10. Re: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?

just call delta and talk to them.....horse's mouth and all that stuff.

Reply to: Cancelling or changing nonrefundable Delta ticket?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted