We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time at Frankfurt

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
reviews: 1
Connection time at Frankfurt

I found a great fare from Barcelona back to the US but it has only an hour and a half layover and change of airlines/planes from luftansa to Condor Airlines in Frankfurt. We go out of the same terminal and I was told our bags would be transferred and we would not have to go through customs again. Would this be a safe bet to make this connection with these airlines?

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

Spain and germany are part of the Schengen agreement.there are no Customs between the 2.It is effectively a domestic flight.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

Minimum connection time at FRA is 45 mins, so 90 mins should do.

No customs for you at FRA, but you have to pass immigration as you are leaving Schengen.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

Having transited at FRA twice in the last 6 weeks, I'd have to say that 90 minutes is risky. The passport control bit shouldn't be a problem (maybe 5 minutes max), but security may be, and it depends on which gates/concourses your flights arrive and depart (and Terminal 1 is huge).

In one case (December) I had to change concourses (B to Z) and was directed to a new large security area with a huge line and it took the best part of an hour to get onto the departing concourse, using the Star Gold/Business line. The second time (2 days ago) both flights used the same concourse, and I was able to use a small and quiet security post half way along Z and I was through within 10 minutes of deplaning.

Based on my December experience, I'd personally want to allow at least 2 hours between flights. 90 mins may be ok but it allows no slack for a delayed arrival.

Edited: 4:52 pm, February 11, 2013
South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

agree with the above.

FRA just gets worse and worse for transit.

if u cant go via munich then allow at least 2 hours. i now allow 3 but am never in any real hurry.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
5. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

Right, no custom and no luggage pick-up at FRA. But you'll have to go through Schengen emigration and security check as mentioned earlier. And it can take ages. Provided though both legs are on the same ticket, LH would rebook you on the next available flight. So your risk is limited.

Meanwhile be aware of what Condor is in terms of quality. www.airlinequality.com/Forum/condor.htm could help...

Leicester, United...
reviews: 32
6. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

Having transited FRA many times over the years and as recently as last month I would describe it as unpredictable. 90 mins for sure is risky because you are not looking at a 'connecting flight' but two separate flights. If the first flight is delayed and you miss the second flight you will be at the mercy of the second carrier and dependent on your ticket class it could prove expensive. They are constantly changing things at FRA - one time you can sail through, another time long queues, bus transfers, extra security checks.

albuquerque
reviews: 18
7. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

Agree with above posts. I would not be comfortable with 90 min in Frankfurt. I've met with delays , poor organization

, etc on multiple occasions. If it were Munich you'd be fine but not Frankfurt I'm afraid.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
8. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

I have always had quick transits in Frankfurt but no 2 days are ever the same in an airport so maybe it's too much of a risk.

9. Re: Connection time at Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 14, 2014