We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

Mumbai (Bombay...
Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

I am to relocate to USA soon for higher studies(will be flying Mumbai-Pittsburg).

I would need to buy additional baggage as I would be carrying lots of articles. Before purchasing my ticket, I thought it would be better to find out which airline will be giving me best rates from the point of view of buying additional bag.

Can someone help me out please?

Thanks in advance...

AJ

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

Decide what airlines will work for you, then go to their webpage and compare the additional baggage rates. I think most of them are pretty much the same. Compare the price of shipping your items instead of paying the airline and see what's less expensive.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

This might help although I would still probably base my purchase on the ticket price.

farecompare.com/about/…International

Columbus, Ohio
3. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

You are allowed 2 bags 50lbs each, how many more you will be carrying? you can use boxes too, just check the dimensions, if you will be adding few more bags than take them with you by air, emirates charge less if paid on line before your flight, some charge $200 for additional bag 50lbs, some airline charge only $50 more if free bag (first 2)weight is more than 50lbs but less than 70lbs per bag.

Check with local travel agent or airline for their weight and additional bag charges, but keep in mind that not all airlines fly to Pittsburgh, if you have a domestic connection here in US, if that airline will charge you extra for additional bags. On domestic they will allow one bag free,second bag is $70 on united,this info should only be used for flights from south east Asia to US on direct flight one ticket. if this option is expensive than you can book by sea.

Edited: 1:55 pm, February 11, 2013
4. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:08 am, February 27, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
5. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

I will tell you my experience in checking boxes is that these are very likely to be opened by Customs in the UA, which can be a huge pain. Just a warning.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

Hi,

As an outside the box thought.. Some airlines do give discounts to their passengers, who use or need to use the carriers air cargo services..

While air cargo moves and is administered slightly differently than regular passenger baggage is, it still moves by air-- thus arrives either with you, or something not long thereafter.

You might want to ask the carrier(s) that you're thinking about if they offer such discounts. If the reservations folks don't know, I'd call the airlines cargo arm directly and ask.. Since the use of cargo is a specialized service, passenger agents generally aren't fully briefed on it or the rules and processes are, but a cargo employee would.

Travel Safe,

Mumbai (Bombay...
7. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

Thanks a lot got guys....

Your replies are surely gonna help....

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
8. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

Closer to travel date, you will find several airlines running a campaign for student fares to the US. This includes a one way ticket, additional luggage, etc, at a very competitive price. I have seen it advertised around May-June, every year since I've been in India. Also check with an experienced travel agent.

9. Re: Additional baggage, cheapest airline rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 14, 2014