We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

Souderton...
Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

I used tripadvisor to search for cheapest flight for 4 travelers, 2 adults 2 kids. When I click thru to buy those tix, I am sent to united's web page, and they come up as 4 18+ adult tix and i can't change that selection. How am I to buy the tix when I can't correctly indicate adult vs child?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
1. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

TripAdvisor doesn't sell tickets. Have you tried going directly to United web page?

Melbourne
reviews: 1
2. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

On the United site you can indicate how many children are flying and by age group (2-4, 5-11, 12-17), you should do your booking there.

Souderton...
3. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

I know tripadvisor doesn't sell tix, but the price shown on tripadvisor is $54 per ticket cheaper than if I search directly at united.com, and that cheaper price is preserved once it takes me there. So if I go that route, i am stuck with 4 adult tickets once it connects me to united. Do you think that will cause any problem? united.com doesn't flag it when I enter a DOB for traveler that makes them <18, so I'm thinking it won't be a problem....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

The fares shown at the TA website may be representative rather than the actual fares available from UA. TA aren't likely to maintain real time availability of the airline's GDS. Try clearing cookies from your browser and start again at UA's home page.

The Advanced Search function at united.com will let you choose the childrens' ages as AussieGirl86 has said.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 52
5. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

Often happens when you use a third party site or a meta search engine.

Don't go to a hardware to buy milk

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

So you would suggest buying milk direct from the farm - not from the supermarket?

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

Laughs a plenty today

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 90
8. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

I see you were sent directly to UA's webpage. UA does give you a choice to select a child as a passenger. Look to the right of the "adult" box, and it will say "children" in white. Click on that and it pulls up an advanced page that lets you list number of children in age groups and adults.

It doesn't matter anyway, as I've never seen UA providing any discounts for children's tickets. If the child is traveling with you, has their own seat, and you enter their birthdate correctly, it doesn't make any difference if you check child or adult.

Illinois
reviews: 16
9. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

I don't know if it will ever really be an issue for passengers, but I've had them ask me my daughter's age. Apparently they calculate the weight differently for children. I've always bought her the correct ticket for her age, so I don't know what would happen if I didn't. I agree that she hasn't gotten a discount since she turned 2.

10. Re: Child ticket choice unavailable from tripadvisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 13, 2014