We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

reviews: 2
Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Just looked at the summer schedules and realize we have 7 days available for a vacation. Dont really care where - will have fun where ever we go. Two adults and two teens. Where is the least expensive place to fly in Europe from Chicago? All airfares I am finding are $1200+ per person! Thoughts???

Saint Louis...
reviews: 12
1. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

That sounds like a good fare for summer. There have been no recent sales that I've seen and I've been watching Spring fares for a couple of months. Sometimes flights to Spain are cheaper, and I've had good luck when searching open jaws flights too.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

$1200 is a very good price for a summer flight to Europe. You don't mention where to, with whom, and whether it's non, one or even two stop though.

www.skyscanner.net has a feature to search for the cheapest flights from a particular airport, so you could take a look at that. Be careful, in that the fares searched include those from 3rd party bookers, and we don't recommend booking with them (and those fares on the booker sites may not actually be available). Take a look there, and if you see a good fare take it directly to the airline and see if it's available.

Matrix (http://matrix.itasoftware.com) is another good search engine and it doesn't link to 3rd party bookers.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 95
3. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Summer of course is the peak, most extortionally priced time to go from the US to Europe. If you want the absolutely lowest fares, you'll want to open up your strategies.

(0) If you're not flexible with dates, your options are next to nil.

(1) Consider two separate tickets and do fancy shuffling between airlines and terminals at some intermediate point. For example, one round-trip Chicago-Dublin, and a second round-trip of Dublin-somewhere else.

(2) See what's on sale. For example, New York-London may have huge competition, price-matching deals, Get a second ticket to go the rest of the way.

(3) Discount airlines like Air Berlin or Condor have crazy one-way deals on specific days of the week. Your challenge is to get to/from the gateway that they serve. Polish LOT also has some interesting deals.

(4) Europe has many low-budget airlines like Easyjet and Ryanair. Your challenge again is to get to/from the airports they serve.

(5) Depending on what you're willing to tolerate, Aeroflot may have some deals.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
4. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

I always find London is good for flight prices we fly there from Milan and get flights from there as it's usually much cheaper than direct flights from Milan, I think it's because they have so many flights going to and from there that there's more competition so I would start looking at flights to London through the matrix website that another poster suggested but keep your options open.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
5. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Right now the "sale" fares you'll find are for Spring travel.

IF there are any for summer they are not out yet except for one I see to Scandinavia:

http://www.travelzoo.com/airfare/europe/

Traveling in summer is always expensive!

BTW most Americans consider flying to Dublin as going to Europe even if it is not on the mainland of that continent.

Illinois
reviews: 16
6. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

IME, London is usually the cheapest of the major cities I've priced. Aer Lingus and Iceland Air (I think) are usually the cheapest but with a stopover. I don't know if Dublin would be cheaper than London, as I think that's where the stopover usually is with Aer Lingus.

Amsterdam can be relatively cheap too. I agree that $1200 is not terrible for summer fares to Europe from Chicago.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 95
7. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Dublin is a good place get off and catch budget carrier RyanAir to go somewhere else.

London has several airports. The budget carriers might go out any one of them. The overseas flights, more than likely go into Heathrow. How you get from Heathrow to one of the other London airports may cost additional time/money, and panic if a connection's schedule changes.

seattle
reviews: 1
8. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Why would you choose a destination based solely on the cost of a Trans-Atlantic fare? Surely with just a week the choice should be what you want to see and experience once you arrive and you should also factor in the cost of accomodations, dining and sight-seeing. London for example is much more expensive than other gateway UK cities.

New York City, New...
reviews: 31
9. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Very good point by SeattleSophie. I too have found London to be cheaper to fly to but the $100-200 you save per ticket, you will surely lose on accommodation alone compared to any number of other cities.

Philadelphia...
10. Re: Europe for a week in August - cheapest to fly to?

Similarly, it's possible that while that SAS summer sale to Scandinavia (flysas.com/en/…) is a pretty good price, the higher costs there might eat into any savings.