We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a price change refund.

Middletown, Rhode...
reviews: 75
Getting a price change refund.

Can anyone tell me if airlines have a policy of reducing the price you pay for a flight, or a refund on that flight if the price goes down from the price you payed? This would all take place before your flight.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Getting a price change refund.

The only one I'm aware of is Southwest. They will give you the credit towards a future flight. Some of the third-party booking sites advertise a price guarantee, but I am not familiar with how this works as I normally book with the airline.

Iowa
reviews: 27
2. Re: Getting a price change refund.

No, you do not get a refund if the fare goes down.

Southwest and JetBlue will give a credit for future flights if you modify your ticket to the lower fare.

Edited: 7:38 pm, February 10, 2013
Edmonton
reviews: 14
3. Re: Getting a price change refund.

US Air, Alaska Air will as well.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Getting a price change refund.

Depends on the airline and terms of your ticket. Often you can get a voucher for the difference minus the change fee. Call and ask.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
5. Re: Getting a price change refund.

No maried11, US will not do this. Only Southwest, Alaska and JetBlue. No legacy carrier will give you the difference.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
6. Re: Getting a price change refund.

I am sure every airline will do this.....however, only if they can then charge ticketed passengers more when the fares go up as well.

This is the risk we all take in either booking early or waiting until the last minute. Some of us win and some lose out.

Middletown, Rhode...
7. Re: Getting a price change refund.

I usually book with the airlines also. In this case it ia with Alitalia and the flight from Boston to Rome is really high $1500.00. For economy. I have to go at that time and I do not want to loose the flight. Right now there are seats but don't know if it is wise to wait in hopes that the price will come down.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
8. Re: Getting a price change refund.

I'd call and ask. All they can do is say no. I personally know a couple that got a price change refund on a United flight to Europe. As previously noted, this was in the form of a future travel voucher for the fare difference less the change fee.

Middletown, Rhode...
9. Re: Getting a price change refund.

Good idea. I am glad someone mentioned the change fee. I would not of thought of that. Thanks,

somerset
10. Re: Getting a price change refund.

Easyjet do a "Price Promise" where, if the cost of your flight goes down, you can claim a Credit Voucher against future bookings. The voucher has to be used within 6 months of making the claim.