We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Bangkok

Toronto, Canada
Transit in Bangkok

Hello

I am going thru Bangkok airport to Colombo and I have 15 hr transit in BKK airport. Any advice how to kill the time?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Transit in Bangkok

Hi,

You *could* pass thru Immigration and go into town.. You'd need to account for the time carefully as you don't want to get back late and miss it, then have to explain how you came to be on the landside.

Within the airport on the AIRside, there are lounges, including pay-use lounges and a few massage places-- depending on which one, some offer shower option too.

F&B will be priced as one might expect-- airport pricing... expensive...

Duty free shopping is there-- nothing overtly unique to Bangkok aside from the Jim Thompson items

If I were you-- and you're comfortable with the risks and can (and will) keep track of the time, I'd go into town and eat, relax, get a massage, then come back.

Travel Safe,

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Transit in Bangkok

That Sounds like a good idea, do you know whether they have lockers u can rent for your hand luggage?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
3. Re: Transit in Bangkok

Hi,

The BKK airport does NOT have self-rentals, but DOES have staffed left luggage offices-- two in the terminal building.

One on the 2nd floor (where arrivals take place) and 4th (where departures take place).

They are run by the security firm, Chubb.

Cost is B100 per piece, per day or fraction thereof, with a surcharge for odd-sized or over-sized items.

All items are x-rayed or examined before acceptance and they will not accept any high value items-- laptops for example. If they see it, you'll have to take it with you. Items are kept in the back of the shop, and only employees have access. Odd-sized/over-sized are stored in front under watch by staff.

You show you passport for drop-off and pick-up, payment is in Thai Baht cash only.

Both locations are open 24/7. Bags are not commingled, so which ever location you use (2nd or 4th) you must return to that same one to reclaim your bags back.

Travel Safe,

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Transit in Bangkok

GOPBI - we've had this debate before, but will OP have to pay departure tax from BKK if they go landside - it shouldn't be on the ticket if the transit is <24hours.

5. Re: Transit in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:54 pm, February 10, 2013
Edited: 6:54 pm, February 10, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
6. Re: Transit in Bangkok

Hi,

Re #5 Correct we have had this debate before and I should have mentioned it before.

OP:

Do beware that there is a possibility you will be subject to the Thailand Deprture tax when you return to continue your trip

The issue is not 100% clear but stems from the notion that by you choosing to leave the airside area of your volition that you then become liable for the tax as all other passengers who are *starting* their travel (not connecting) would be

It stems from the idea tha while those who are in-transit don't pay the tax (built into your fare) by you choosing to formally enter the Kingdom, you changed from a transit passenger to an origin passenger- thus must pay the tax

The tax is only B700 so its not overly huge and it is principally levied to defray the costs associated with processing an internationally departing passenger; such as Immigration processing. Therefore the notion does have some merit in that a non-tax paying passenger wouldn't use Immigration services, but if you choose to leave you would have to clear, thus the service is now provided to you and the offsetting tax should be paid.

Again it's not huge. B700 and its not crystal clear yet (as I know it) on the formal interpretation or application BUT some people who've done as you're thinking about doing have reported being assessed this tax upon trying to continue onwards. So just a heads up.

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Transit in Bangkok

From this thread, it appears that yes you will have to pay the 700 baht departure tax in your case.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5208456…

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Transit in Bangkok

I am landing at 05:55 and departing at 22:30. I am thinking of going to Sukhumvit area and get a hotel and relax for few hrs and walk around and come back to Airport, Is this a bad idea or any thoughts?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
9. Re: Transit in Bangkok

Hi,

In your case (re #8) it works out rather well..

I'm assuming you won't have any CHECKED bags to move with you, or IF you do, that you store them at one of the two pay-for-use left luggae shops inside the terminal building.

The Airport Rail Link opens at 0600 (as does the in-town BTS or Sky Train).. So, a 0555A arrival means that by the time you finally get outside of Customs, it will be past 0600 and both the ARL and BTS systems will be running.

You can use these trains to get from the airport to most points within the city center.

On the reverse, or your way back, since you need to be back at least :90 before departure, you can also use the same ARL/BTS systems to get from town to the airport.

Of course, a taxi is also an option and does run 24/7

You *might* have issues finding a hotel that can take you at that early hour as the 'norm' for check-in does tend to be around mid-day to early afternoon.. However, you can also contact the hotel directly to discuss,

My only note of caution would be to INSURE that you're back to the airport timely as you'll need to complete and clear security and outbound Immigration before getting to your onward flights gate.

Travel Safe,

10. Re: Transit in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 08, 2014