We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 107
How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Does anyone have an idea how/when EK choose to give upgrades? We fly with them every year and last yr got our first upgrade, business to first, so that was wonderful.

Does this mean business class was overbooked? One other pax was upgraded as well and she wondered if it was a NYE gift?

We were silver skywards members so I imagine that helped.

Just curious, is there any method to this or is it just a bit of a lottery?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Emirates only give free upgrades when they have to, i.e. overbooking, and then on basis of your status with Skywards.

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 107
2. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Ah, so that's why they are few and far between. Guess you just have to be lucky.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
3. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Just plain luck... here's hoping for more upgrade luck for an upcoming Y flight... :)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 117
4. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Luck, and more luck and sometimes who you know ;)

...and of course operational reasons, overbooking, change of plane etc

No magic formula to upgrades or everyone would bag one

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
5. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Not entirely true Hans. I was recently upgraded from business to first on a DXB-MUC flight. While it is likely that the business class was overbooked, I hold no status with EK and use them infrequently.

My guess is that once the elite status fliers are taken care of, it becomes a little random. I refuse to believe there werent people with lower tier Skywards status in the J cabin when I was upgraded.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

More likely that economy was overbooked and pax had been upgraded from economy to business. Emirates will never upgrade you from economy to first.

UK
reviews: 87
7. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

Agreed, there is a process in place, as Hans says, but that can be overridden by other factors, such as shortness of time and ease to the crew. So there is luck involved.

Without going into the long story, I was once upgraded on a free ticket transatlantic direct from economy to first, bypassing business. It was last minute, and whilst procedure might have been to upgrade me to business and someone in business to first that would have been too time consuming as the plane was pretty much waiting to close doors.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
8. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

I get upgrDed all the time with emirates even on my first flight years ago. Im gold now so that also helps

London
reviews: 21
9. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

I have travelled to India a few times with Emirates. Twice have had an email few days prior to travel offering upgrade to business at discounted rate on the Dubai to India segment. Once was upraded free on the Dubai India segment.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 130
10. Re: How do Emirates upgrades work - just luck?

A friend's mum has been upgraded DXB-NCL every single time on EK, and she's not a Skywards member and an infrequent traveller. Who knows why, but good on her! =^^=